"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, March 06, 2008

UPDATE: CHOCOLATE CHALLENGE

My attempt to eat the World's Largest Hershey's Kiss (two and three-quarter pounds of chocolate) was tentatively scheduled for today but I postponed it due to not being "100 percent mentally ready for the challenge." In other words, I was scared.

Carey offered some sage advice on my first post about the chocolate challenge. In a comment, he said "I wouldn't attempt to eat more of anything than what Pat can do in a competition." It was a reference to Pat Bertoletti's world record of one pound, 15.5 ounces of chocolate eaten in 7 minutes back in 2006.

Based on that, my plan is not to eat the entire 2.75 pound Kiss, but to eat as much as I can in 7 minutes. After seven minutes, I'll assess how my body is feeling and continue chowing down if I feel up to the challenge. The attempt is scheduled for Monday at 5 pm in the conference room.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could probably break the 2 lb mark in 7 minutes. I'd just make sure all them are peeled and that you stuff your mouth, drink coffee or hot water and wash it all down in a gulp. The hearts in the contest were impossibly thick.

-pat bertoletti

3:16 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Dave, have you consulted a doctor about this challenge? I don't want to sound paranoid but this is one of those things that might not seem dangerous until after something happens, like drinking a lot of water.

3:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just chocolate. You're not a dog. It's not going to kill you.

If you go online, you can find out pretty easily that there isn't a ton of caffeine in Hershey's chocolate. 20 Hershey bars has as much caffeine as a regular cup of coffee. That's 30 ounces of chocolate, not a whole lot less than what you're thinking of eating.

Relax. Enjoy the dare. You'll be fine.

5:47 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks Pat. I don't know if I'll get two pounds down, but we'll see. I know I can eat two pounds of food in 7 minutes (I did it in shoofly), but chocolate is much different beast.

Carey - Are you TRYING to freak me out now, because it's working. I'm inclined to agree with anonymous. I am not a dog.

9:56 AM

 
Blogger Domenico said...

Dave, you just need to do it, and that's it. Nothing scary will happen to you. You'll have a nice buzz, or great feelings of euphoria. All will be well, you will also make chocolate poopies!!

1:18 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

HA! Thanks Domenico.

2:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it cute? Carey really sounds concerned about Dave's health and well-being. Very sweet.

And I thought all men were heartless jerks. (j/k)

7:52 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

If you reacted ok to Shoo-Fly you'll be fine with this. The added hardness will slow your swallowing down some, and the fat will get you in the toilet. You'll still be able to say 'I ate X lbs of chocolate'

6:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home