"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Sunday, March 02, 2008

PIZZA EATING CONTEST

The first annual Pavone Pizza Eating Contest is in the books (finally, after four reschedulings) and my three contest winning streak is over. Beau took the title by finishing his large pizza with sliced tomatoes before anyone else. I was half a slice behind (I chose mushrooms), followed by John (mushrooms) and Billy (onions - WTF?).

DSC_3649
Beau checks out the goods.

DSC_3708
Billy, Beau, me and John digging in. Yes, that's me using ranch dressing to give the crusts a little extra flavor. Overall, the first three slices didn't taste too bad. The last three slices tasted like crap. I don't remember the middle two.

DSC_3743
Beau shows off his winning technique. We all got our pizzas cut traditionally (eight slices), while Beau asked for his cut in four slices. He then folded each quarter slice. I guess it worked.

DSC_3756
Me considering my next move. I think it was "continue eating."

DSC_3773
Taking a nap during the home stretch while John soldiers on.

DSC_3801
Beau basks in victory while I will myself to finish my pie.

Amazingly enough, I thought I wouldn't want to eat pizza again for at least two weeks, but my very next meal (lunch the next day) was two slices of cheese pizza. A full set of pictures can be seen here.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was those damn mushrooms, Dave. They added extra weight ;o)

7:14 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I don't know. They were sliced really thin. I'm pretty sure after seeing the onions and sliced tomatoes that the difference in mass between any of the toppings was of very little significance.

Still, I thought about the mass issue before I made my decision and decided that I'd rather choose a topping that I liked (mushrooms or, if I could eat meat, pepperoni) rather than a lower mass topping that I didn't like (peppers or onions). Still glad I chose mushrooms.

8:08 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

What was the total time involved for the whole pizza? BTW, don't forget that I fortold the demise of your broken winning streak before it happened. Good job Beau.

10:15 AM

 
Blogger Flash17090 said...

I taught Beau everything he knows about eating. Well maybe his mom helped.

10:48 AM

 
Blogger brfudge said...

Congrats Beau, You guys know what goes well with pizza?? Frozen Custard. (look at AICE site.) Any of you able to beat the Invader??

11:09 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, Carey you did predict Beau's victory...I'll give you that. I forget what the final time was. (And by "forget" I mean "I remember, but it's not that impressive so I won't mention it here.")

5:11 PM

 
Blogger Domenico said...

Regardless of what the time was, I think that what you have at your job with your co-workers/friends is awesome. The mere fact that you guys get together (loyaly) and do these contests is hard to find, don't worry Dave, you got the next contest for sure!!

8:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave you are the smartest eater on this planet. You make it your biz not to get involved in competitive eating leagues and i can see you guys enjoy yourself taking part in these independent contests. Keep on keepin on

11:57 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks Brian. You're absolutely right...I enjoy these small contests between friends more than anything else.

2:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home