"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"HOLD THE BACON"

Yesterday I went to lunch and uttered those three words. Words I never in a million years thought I'd say. It was a salad "smothered in Applewood smoked bacon." What I recieved was literally an intact half a head of lettuce on my plate, one sliced hard boiled egg and a container of ranch dressing. I almost cried.

Today I feel light headed and dizzy. Also headachey and slightly congested, so I'm blaming the wooziness on some sort of impending cold or flu. I've got to remember to take my multivitamins and eat more alternate sources of protein. I might order a Whopper tonight and take out the meat just to see if it satisfies my cravings.

9 Comments:

Blogger A-Bomb said...

Don't do that. That would be totally cheating. You made your bed, so you sleep in it.

2:26 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

How would that be cheating??!! There's no meat in it!! Don't deny me my shortcuts Skinnyboy. They're all I've got!!

3:42 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

Take out the meat and stick a couple boca burgers in there. That might help. Also, try to pick salads that sound better without the meat. An iceberg lettuce based one is obviously not a good choice. However, Greek salads are pretty delicious and satisfying with all the feta and olives. Or one made with fruit and nuts would fill you up more. You have to stop thinking like you're subtracting meat and starting thinking like you're looking for something delicious that doesn't happen to contain meat.

5:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's still cheating b/c you'd get the meat juice.

8:19 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks Liz! I'm quickly realizing which restaurants are vegetarian friendly and which aren't. That one with the awful salad had almost no meat free lunches on the menu aside from some french onion soup.

FINE Derek. Although I don't agree that meat juice is cheating, I'll play by those rules. Maybe I'll order a Whopper and tell them to hold the meat.

8:34 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Boca burgers..... I once bought a box of those, the smell of cooking them was awful. I had to sandwich them between two real beef patties just to eat them.

Derek's statement is true on many different levels.

8:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how strict you're being, but French onion soup is made with beef broth. I guess we're back to the "meat juice" debate.

12:54 PM

 
Blogger bothenook said...

poor baby. i guess i won't tell you about the three, count them, three racks of babyback ribs i smoked and q'd monday. as a matter of fact, today is the third day in a row i'm having ribs for lunch.
i'll chew one extra long in your meatless memory.
hey, what are buds for?

1:41 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I thought of you today when I had ramen noodles for lunch. I also thought of you tonight when I had three burgers.

8:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home