"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, February 25, 2008

HERSHEY KISS CHALLENGE

Somehow Ian got ahold of the "World's Largest Hershey's Kiss" (a hollow chocolate kiss filled with 45 regular sized Kisses) and levied a challenge for me to eat it. Of course, I accepted the challenge. Like a dumbass.

The giant kiss is actually pretty heavy and packs a total of 5,670 calories. The small kisses only weigh in at 1,150 calories, for a combined 6,820 calories. Total weight: two pounds, 12 ounces of pure Hershey's chocolate. Altogether the meal packs 1,280 percent of my total daily allowance of saturated fat.

I have to figure out what my time limit will be. The world chocolate eating record is one pound, 15.5 ounces in 7 minutes by Pat Bertoletti. I'm thinking 20 minutes would be GREAT for me on this one, but 30 minutes is more likely. This is the first eating challenge in which the potential physical effects of the food actually scare me.

9 Comments:

Blogger A-Bomb said...

YOWZA, D, Yowza!

11:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one that if you start to feel weird, just stop. With the possible dangers involved, take it easy.

12:02 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, I talked to Bertoletti about this and he said the caffeine in the chocolate kept him up all night (and in the bathroom). As I suspected, he suggested drinking something hot with the chocolate.

8:08 AM

 
Blogger Liz said...

Pat said this didn't affect him, but I think you'll get a burn in the back of your throat from all that Hershey's. They're sort of notorious for that "sour milk" flavor.

6:20 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Burning sensation in back of throat. Got it. I'm so looking forward to this.

8:21 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I get that burning feeling if I eat a lot of any type of chocholate. So that is what causes it? Weird. Dave, I think there is a reason that they made that competition only 7 minutes long. And here you are trying to double what Pat ate.

8:58 AM

 
Blogger Domenico said...

Well, first off, that record that Pat has was for very thick chocolates. I was in the contest too, and these were very hard, if i can ever download the video to youtube i would be glad to show you. Because if you just go to the store and buy 10 or more chocolate bars (Herseys or whatever) you can fly through them. These chocolate hearts were no joke. They were about 1/3 or 1/4 of lb each, and i believe they may have been refrigerated before hand so they can stay fresh. So don't worry about the record, you can do it, and you can fly through it if they are kisses, they are broken down to decent sizes already!

5:48 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I wasn't saying anything about the time it took Pat to eat what he ate, I was making the point that when there is a competition with foods that might be unsafe, ie high fat or calories, etc. they limit the time more. With what Domenico says about how hard it was to eat adds to the theory. If it was easy to consume, they would probably make it a 5 minute competition. So, with that point in mind, I wouldn't attempt to eat more chocolate than I can in 5 minutes, if it is easy to eat. More than that, I wouldn't attempt to eat more of anything than what Pat can do in a competition.

11:48 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

You're scaring me Carey. And you've convinced me to revise the chocolate challenge to be a 7 minute sprint instead of a 30 minute marathon. I think we're doing this on Monday. I'll keep you posted.

3:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home