"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

ANOTHER BITE OF CHEESESTEAK

Below are a few more pictures from our trip to Philly and a link at the bottom to the entire set. By the way, while we were canvassing Philly for cheesesteaks, one of the honorary members of the UEPa, Andrew "Skinnyboy" Lane, was taking his own tour in Colorado. He's an honorary UEPa member because, like many of us, he can't pass up a good restaurant challenge. Check out part one and part two of his tour. Carey will be happy to know that Amoroso rolls are used (and appreciated) even in Denver.

As we approached this dog near Geno's he was lying down, soaking up the sun. When I knelt down to take his picture he sprung to his feet and I found myself face-to-face with an unfamiliar pit bull. He seemed cool, but just in case he wasn't happy about me disturbing his nap, I snapped this picture and got on my way.

This is a shot of the grill at Pat's. The lip around the edge keep about an inch of boiling water on the grill which is used to cook the steaks. I wonder what if it also saps most of the flavor along with it? Maybe. It might also infuse the meat with flavor. Who knows. The steaks sort of float around in there and the raw ones on the left are actually several layers deep.

Honestly, the whole thing about Pat's and Geno's being the worst steaks on the tour is really disheartening for me. It's sort of like finding out that Santa doesn't exist or that Velveeta isn't really cheese. I don't like to criticize cultural institutions, but I if I have to, I will. I don't know why my Pat's steaks came out so poorly. Maybe that just happened to be one of the worst looking steaks that guy made all day. Maybe at the moment he was making my steak (all 1.3 seconds of that moment), he was distracted by something. Could be true, right?

Somewhat controversially, Geno's is known for their policy of requiring customers to order in english (signs at the ordering window make that very clear...assuming you can read english). Geno's has a shop with some motorcycles in it located across the street from their cheesesteak place. This shirt was displayed in the window. That's Carey in the reflection. It's ironic that Frankenstein is wearing the shirt because he's not American (although parts of him might be) and he definitely doesn't speak English.

A full set of pics can be seen here, including one of Carey in a demonstration of what happens when you consume massive quantities of beef and cheese whiz.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

We gotta go to Colorado. No wait, better yet, let's just go to North East philly. There you'll find the good stuff. Yeah, that T.O.P. steak reminds me of Pagoda's.

9:01 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

I'm hurt that your Steak from Pat's looked like that. I think the cook screwed up, when I went there I had twice the meat!

9:30 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Like I said, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a perfect storm of the wrong guy on the grill, a long line of customers, and bad luck on my part.

10:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave! I ate at Texas Roadhouse last night and saw that they have a 32 oz steak challenge. If you eat the entire thing, you get your picture on their wall of fame and a free appetizer on your next visit. Of course, when I saw this, I immediately thought of you. They just started this yesterday. I know you can't resist a challenge - especially one put out by a restaurant. Good luck to you!

7:49 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Hey Pizza Princess, nice to see you on here. A 32 ounce steak? Thanks for letting me know about that. I'll take that free appetizer and eat it for dessert AFTER my steak!

8:11 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

hmmm, dave, is there a Texas roadhouse near you? I can make the trip.

8:51 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, it's about 10 minutes from my house. I've eaten there before. It's the kind of place that has peanuts on the table and you can throw the shells on the floor. Fun stuff. You should come out sometime and we'll do it. 32 ounces...that's only two pounds!

10:21 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I'm there.

"hey, if I finish off the gristle will ya throw in a couple of shirts for the wife and kids?"

2:31 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Classic line from one of the best CE scenes in movie history. I wonder if it's on YouTube? If not, it should be.

11:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home