"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, April 07, 2007

PHILLY CHEESESTEAK TOUR TIMES TWO?

Thanks to Wild Bill, I've discovered the trip-planning convenience of Google maps and its ability to link multiple stops in case you're planning something like an Ultimate Philly Cheesesteak Tour. Using Bill's originally plotted map and some additional research into the best cheesesteaks in Philly, I'm beginning to think we may have enough sandwich joints to make TWO tours. One featuring stops scattered relatively far apart in north Philly and another featuring steakeries clustered in south Philly.

In other words, I'm recommending that we rename our April 21st glutfest the Ultimate SOUTH Philly Cheesesteak Tour and take another tour later this year to hit up the other places. That'll mean less time in the car and more time eating (or waiting in lines). It also gives people who can't make it to this tour a chance to meet us for the next one (fall?). Here's how I see the South Philly Tour shaking out (7 stops, listed in order):

1. Campo's (214 Market St.)
2. Jim's (4th & South St.)
3. Steaks on South (308 South St.) (380 feet from Jim's)
4. Pat's (9th & Passyunk)
5. Geno's (9th & Passyunk)
6. John's Roast Pork (14 Snyder Ave)
7. Tony Luke's (39 West Oregon Ave)

That leaves Chubby's, Dallesandro's, Steve's Prince of Steaks and Chinks on the north end for another day. More stops would be added, of course. Below is the Google map of the South Philly stops. Here's a link to the map including the North Philly stops.

So far it looks like Wild Bill, Pete, Carey and myself are in. Beau (taco champ and Denny's participant) might also be there. Who else? Wing Tut? Wing Kong? Steakbellie? I'll be making scorecards to help us rate and remember each stop on the tour. More on that next week.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

I'm jealous but we're having a much-needed, pre-baby Humungo Garage Sale that day or I'd trek up from Charm City to join you at a few of the better, non-touristy stops.

11:07 AM

 
Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

Eat a couple extra for me, Dave!

4:34 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

DAN and RM1, I'll definitely eat one for you. I think I'll be "eating one" for a lot of people. I'll dedicate Campo's to you, Dan, and Steaks on South to RM1. That means four more stops are up for dedication grabs. I'm saving Tony Luke's for myself.

9:21 AM

 
Blogger Dan said...

You, sir, are a gentleman.

5:28 PM

 
Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

You're a canteloupe and a scholar. (Or if not that, then something else.)

7:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please sir, eat one for me from Geno's. To be more specific, I'll take the one minus the whiz with provolone instead. It would be kindly appreciated. Looks like I'll be doing double duty in the next cheesesteak venture!

10:33 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

IT'S THE GILLY MONSTER!!!!!! OMG

9:45 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

I would break it in two, and thoughly enjoy the Cheesesteaks. I really like Pat's. Jims was OK, but it's neat to see all of the photos on the wall of Linda Keruth and hopefully Humble Bob now.

1:04 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

man, I can't wait for the second one. Those are all the good ones on the north side. But, won't pass up an opportunity to slam down some steak-ums from Pat's and Geno's with the crew. What time is this going to start?

5:02 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

When would be a good time? Pete? Wild Bill?

I'm thinking we meet at 11am at Jim's and then we can all ride in one car for the rest of the day and wrap up sometime around 5 or 6pm (about an hour per stop to account for driving, walking, waiting in line, eating and bullshitting). It could take half that time or maybe a bit more. Who knows.

9:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home