"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, April 05, 2007

EVERYTHING IS BETTER DEEP FRIED

Last week Liz sent me a link to an article that ran in FHM magazine in which The Food Network's George Duran deep fries various morsels and reports the mixed results. He tried deep fried White Castle burgers, deed fried pizza, deep fried hard boiled eggs, deep fried gummy worms and deep fried chocolate chip cookie dough ("like freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, only 10 times better").

Only problem is, now I really want a deep fryer so I can deep fry all sorts of stuff and feed it to people to see what they think. I'd also take picturse and publish the results here. Most decent friers start around $50 on Amazon. I'd get the Cuisinart 1.1 liter model. The stainless steel exterior might be a pain to keep clean, but who cares. The Rival black and silver one is cool too, but seems a little too big (3 liters) for my needs. Seriously, how many deep fried Oreos do I need to make? It's smaller cousin might work though. That's it on the right, looking like a little robot.

Heather is hesitant to get one because she's afraid we'd use it all the time. I told her we could avoid that dilemma by not keeping oil in the house (I'd only buy some when I wanted to do my "lab work"). Or maybe we can use it to deep fry healthy things like vegetables and cheese. I think she's coming around.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or exotic things like egg rolls or empanadas! It's really just going to expand your culinary and cultural worldview.

3:01 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Aren't egg rolls and empanadas already deep fried? Why would I deep fry something that was already deep...oh, I get it. Make my OWN egg rolls and empanadas.

Seriously, at first you totally confused me. I was thinking about the benefits of double deep frying. Mmmmm....

9:04 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

I've officially adopted The Gateway Grizzlies of the Independent League as the second favorite baseball team of The Hungover Gourmet. They're the ones that are actually serving the Deep Fried White Castles at the ballpark. Road trip!

6:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anybody other than me get a confirmation for the Philly Nathan's qualifier?

9:18 AM

 
Blogger Liz said...

The Chip Shop in Brooklyn is crazy with the deep frying and actually DO double fry some things! Like, I think they have donuts that they batter and re-fry.

11:03 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I'm on standby for Philly. They're confirming table spots about six weeks before each contest, so I'll have to wait to see if I'm at the QVC table in late June.

4:51 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I got my confirmation for Philly, too. That is going to be my second try. I am positive I am going to be on the list at Molly Pitcher also.

9:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home