"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

COFFEE DRINKERS ARE SMART PEOPLE

If there's one thing I can't live without in the morning, it's coffee. That includes mornings when I've got an eating contest. I don't care what the caffeine might do to my appetite, the absence of it would do worse things to my psyche.

Normally I have my morning cup at home. Morning road trips warrant an extra cup at a gas station. I was in one of Harrisburg's several 7-Eleven stores a few weeks ago and they're running something called the "7 Election." Java junkies can cast their "vote" for president by filling up with either a blue Obama cup or a red McCain cup. Undecideds (really? still?) can opt for the non-descript standard cup.

The results of the poll are tracked on 7-Election.com. State by state and nationally.

The store I visited is in a particularly urban part of Harrisburg known as Penbrook, which might explain why there were four towering stacks of McCain cups available and only two (count 'em, two) Obama cups left. But before you dismiss the accuracy of the poll by saying more 7-Eleven's are located in urban, left-leaning areas or that conservatives prefer Starbucks, consider these facts from the 7-Election website:
  • In 2000, the first year 7-Eleven ran the poll, George Bush's cup outsold Al Gore's cup by just one percentage point.

  • In 2004, Bush won again, beating John Kerry's cup by a 51-49 percent margin. Those totals tracked identically with real national election results.

Pretty accurate, huh? So what are the results so far in this year's coffee showdown? In the 30 states in which 7-Eleven stores are located, Obama is beating McCain in every state except North Carolina (McCain's up 59-51) and New Hampshire (a tie). Nationally, Obama is winning 60 percent to 40 percent.

Check out the numbers for yourself here. And to locate a 7-Eleven near you and cast your vote, check out the store finder here. I recommend the Columbian Dark Roast.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta buy a lot of coffee quickly!

5:54 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Crap, Dave, the republicans are up to their election games again - you said McCain's up 59 to 51 percent in NC....

9:19 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I saw the advert for this driving by one before, I thought it was just a 'vote for your favorite flavor' gimmick to coincide with the election, just like all of those bracket things that pop up in March.

That is a good catch, skinny. Not Dave's fault either. The website actually shows that result.

Damn, I can't let this go on, I gotta drive to NC and buy some coffee.

8:32 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Good catch Skinny. I think that might be accurate though. I heard something about the Republican congress passing a bill that gives North Carolina an extra 10 percent of the vote. Nothin' wrong with giving a 110 percent, right?

The only red flag with this poll is that Obama's biggest lead in any state is in Ohio, where he's leading 70 to 30 percent. It's highlight unlikely that he'll win Ohio by that much. Current polls have him up 50 to 43 percent with 7 percent still undecided. By the way, no Republican has EVER won the Presidency WITHOUT winning Ohio.

Something tells me Payne isn't going to sleep for at least 6 more days.

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, I'll sleep just fine.

Actually, i fall into that "undecided" camp. Wanna know why. FEAR! Fear that somehow, someway, Sarah Palin may actually end up in charge. Make's me re-think my vote daily.

I wish that the VP was up for vote. I hate that we get the running mate that was chosen. Seriously!
Anyone but Palin!

4:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Munch...I must say, I agree with the title of your post. As the wife of Skinnyboy, I've been trying to make him see the light for years about the brilliance of coffee drinkers!

If the attendance of each candidates rallies in Denver last weekend are any indication of the results of the election...
McCain approx 4,000 people
Obama approx 100,000 people

I do like your justification for the 110% vote...perhaps YOU have a future in politics. The ability to explain things away is very valuable, you know.

7:44 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I never thought about it before, but voting for the Prez and the VP seperately is a great idea. We did it in High School, why not the U.S.?

8:07 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks T-Bonz. I take it Steak isn't a coffee drinker. I have a hard time trusting people who don't drink coffee. Not sure why.

I like the idea of voting for a VP separately. I mean, what's the worst that could happen, we'd end up with a Republican president and a Democratic VP? That actually sounds like a GOOD thing!

An an undecided voter, Payne nailed it. If you can't make up your mind about which man would make a better president, take a look at each candidate's VP choice. Once you do that, you betcha the decision become crystal clear. Ya know? *wink*

8:39 AM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Wait, wait. Maybe McSame is actually on to something. Everyone could get cool names like Mega the Munch or Skinny the Boy. Or Mack the Knife or Mott the Hoople. What's so wrong with that?!?

9:05 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Come on, Skinny, it wasn't McCain that came up with that, should have been clued in when you thought it was a good idea. It was the media. -Carey the commentor

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

By the way, guess it was actually 49-51 in NC, because my cup the other day now put it at 50-50. That is a very blue map they got there.

2:38 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Glad you cast your vote in NC, Carey (what were you doing down there?). That state is now tied in 7 Election.

I'm so happy I live in a battleground state (PA), where my vote can actually make a difference.
And yes, despite the real polls that show Obama with a nice lead in PA, it's still a battleground state. The Bradley Effect is very real and I am very nervous about it.

9:02 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Well, the outcome was close to the same, but state by state, it was a little off. I think this 7-11 didn't take into account that most Republicans are money wasting, no taste having Starbucks drinkers.

10:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home