"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

MY CHOCOLATE EATING ADVENTURE

In seven minutes on Monday evening, I probably ate more chocolate than I did in most entire years. Well, probably not when you consider how much chocolate I eat in ice cream and other desserts, but it sure as hell felt like a lot of chocolate.

The challenge, levied upon me by a sadistic co-worker, was to see how much of the "World's Largest Hershey's Kiss" I could eat in a seven minute period. Pat Bertoletti holds the seven minute chocolate eating record with one pound, 15.5 ounces eaten. My total was one pound, one ounce and I washed it down with a tall mug of hot coffee. The coffee (thanks to Pat for the suggestion), really helped keep things clear during the challenge. In retrospect, I should have gone with decaf, but I didn't.

CHOCOLATE 008

The giant Kiss came in two halves and was thicker than I thought it would be. Some parts were really thick and required a lot of biting and chewing to break it apart. I'm reasonably sure I could have eaten the other half if given 15 or 20 more minutes (and I seriously thought about it), but wisely didn't.

With a little over one pound of chocolate in my belly (the equivalent of 11 standard 1.5 ounce Hershey's chocolate bars) and another 16 ounces of coffee behind it, I was definitely feeling a good buzz. And it didn't take long for the jitters to set in. Fifteen minutes later I was shaky, talking fast and felt a little bit like Tweek from South Park. After half an hour, my resting pulse rate was 104 (my normal is around 70). Three hours later I started getting some painful intestinal cramping, but thankfully no other digestive abnormalities. By midnight, my sugar and caffeine high had subsided and I was able to sleep peacefully.

More pics can be seen here.

12 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

WOW
thats alot of Chocolate! You'll always have that story now...remember that time I ate a lbs of chocolate?

Great Work!
I'm Jealous!

12:12 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I can't believe you didn't think about the caffeine in the coffee. Aren't you glad you didn't do the whole thing? That would have been more chocolate caffeine, and more coffee to wash it down! I kinda wanted to see what would happen though. I souldn't have mentioned anything.

1:17 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, great stories indeed. The coffee caffiene was probably the biggest post-challenge physical influence. Downing a large coffee in 7 minutes isn't something I do every day.

2:47 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Large? No. Deici.

4:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job, Dave! You kick ass!

10:06 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

What, are you speaking fritalian now, Skinny?

9:58 AM

 
Blogger Liz said...

Nicely done! I would have gone with a decaf mint tea myself, but I think doing it with full powered coffee should constitute part of the challenge. You didn't just eat a pound of chocolate, you ate a pound of chocolate AND 20 ounces of coffee.

12:12 PM

 
Blogger Michael Duffield said...

Hilarious! Bet you felt like a hummingbird...

It always intrigues me that the thin excel at the eating throw-downs...

11:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That caffeine buzz comes in handy, eh...

11:05 AM

 
Blogger Domenico said...

Very nice work Dave, I too am jealous. It most have been fun and delicious! and you see, it wasn't that bad afterall! Nothing terrible happened to you.

3:36 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

It should be noted though, that Dave only ate 1 pound, 1 ounce of the chocolate. With as bad as he was feeling after that, I suspect there could have been some issues with eating the total 2.75 pounds.

1:42 PM

 
Blogger joejoejoejoe3 said...

it says the page is private so i cant see ur pics... just wasted my time signing up for nothing

1:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home