"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, September 01, 2007

UEPa PUTS ON A SHOW IN HAMBURGER EATING CONTEST

Ahh, Hamburg. The site of my very first eating contest two years ago and the impetus for my love of competitive over eating. It's sort of ironic, too, because I always leave Hamburg feeling embarassed and/or angry about my performance.

Today the UEPa converged on Hamburg for its annual Taste of Hamburg-er Festival Hamburger Eating Competition. In the end, Ian "The Invader" Hickman would cruise to a victory with 13 hamburgers eaten in 8 minutes. Carey "The Powerhouse" Poehlmann finished second with 9 burgers and buns, and I did my best to shame myself in Hamburg once again with a whopping 5-and-a-half burgers eaten. That's not good. I think I need to starting doing things like "practicing" and "training" in order to get "better." Right now my training consists of "getting hungry," and it ain't really working.

Forgetable performances aside, it was still a fun time and always nice to see the guys. Pete Miernicki made the trip up from Philly to cheer us on and Ian's brother Trey was on hand to videotape the performance. Pictured below is Carey, Brian, me and Ian. Brian, a local eater in his first ever contest, ate 7-and-a-half burgers and is the newest member of the UEPa. Welcome to the club, Brian! Don't forget to pick up your uniform.

A full set of pics can be seen here. Don't miss the shots of Ian's ponytail and the entries from the kid's "Meat Molding Contest" that took place right before the eating showdown. Mmmm...molded meat.
.
UPDATE: An article about the contest from the Reading Eagle can be seen here. That fish-eyed picture of us is cool.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

When I saw the folder for the meat molding contest, I was really upset to find out I was too old for that contest, because I think my artistic ability outshines my eating capabilities. I would have taken out that 10 year old boy with the I heart cow sculpture.

2:07 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, I wouldn've liked training for that one at home. Honing my vertical molding skills, reaching new heights by experimenting with ground beef of different temperatures. Oh well, there's always next year.

10:06 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

By the way, I just added notes to many of the pics, so if you've already seen them, you might want to check them out again.

10:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, you made the list of fantasy eaters for Krystals. http://krystalsquareoff.com/fantasy-eater-profile.php?id=177

12:25 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

What the? I'll bet with all those "n/a" and "O" stats, I'm a hot commodity in the fantasy Krystal league. I used to poke around on the Krystal Lovers blog...that's probably why they remember me.

3:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, I'm laughing out loud with the pics MM. At the same time, I am making notes to ALWAYS where a ponytail around you for distraction.

5:25 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

after dinner tonight I decided to do a test between burgers the way I usually cook them, and the type at the contest. After cooking one normally, I left the other one on the grill until it looked the way the contest burgers looked. The first one took 15 seconds to down (I did already eat dinner) the second one took 45 seconds.

9:41 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, those burgers were very tough and chewy. Sort of the stereotypical "shoe leather" burger patty. That makes your 9 and Ian's 13 all the more impressive.

9:58 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I really didn't think to create "competition" food when training, but I see the difference that it would make in being prepared and gaining experience. From now on all my food is getting over cooked and tasteless (that's right mom, I am coming over for dinner more often)

11:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home