"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Sunday, August 26, 2007

PLAY BALL! THE UEPa ATTEMPTS THE "9 INNING CHALLENGE"

On Sunday, August 26 a few of us met at a Reading Phillies game to attempt the "9 Inning Challenge" (one dog in the first inning, two in the second, three in the third and so on).

It was Carey and myself officially attempting the challenge. Pete Miernicki was with us but was taking it easy, mixing beers with about a dozen hot dogs and cheering us on. He competed in the Ash Creek Saloon Rib Contest the day before in Connecticut against Joey Chestnut, Pat Bertoletti and the rest of the IFOCE gang (almost beating the great Crazy Legs Conti in the process), so it was understandable that he didn't have the appetite for another eating challenge.

Above a shot of us after finding our seats behind first base (l-to-r: Carey, me, Pete). As soon as we got to the park, we bought 10 dogs each (enough to get us through the first four innings). One key point about the dogs: The buns were potato buns, a slightly thicker, denser bread known for its signature yellowish tint. Not sure how much this affected our eating, but in the long run, these rolls are definitely harder to eat than the lighter, standard "white bread" kind.
.
Obviously, the first few innings were pretty easy. We ate our first, second and third inning dogs in the top of each inning, before the away team even made their second out. We finished all four of our fourth inning dogs at a leisurely pace (never really eating for speed) by the middle of the fourth for a total 10 dogs.
.
The fifth inning was a different story, but Carey and I both choked down dog number 15 somewhere in the bottom of the inning. In the sixth, the away team went down quickly and I had only eaten half a dog. Oh yes, I was feeling the pain. I had to eat 5-and-a-half dogs in the bottom of the inning or my attempt was over. Carey ate one dog in the top of the inning. In the bottom of the 6th I'd finish my other half and Carey would eat one more dog before we each threw in the towel. Final tally: Me 16 hot dogs, Carey 17 hot dogs.
.

The Reading Phillies mascot, Bucky the Beaver walked by in the 8th inning. By then, the disgusting, bloated feeling of having eating two packs of hot dogs and buns had passed a bit so I handed the camera to Pete, pushed aside a few kids and grabbed a pic with the Beav before letting him get on his way. A full set of pics can be seen here.
.
UPDATE (Monday): Last night I slept like crap as my body processed the overdose of sodium and nitrates I had consumed 12 hours earlier. I tossed and turned and woke up feeling like a very thirsty bucket of shit. I skipped breakfast and my morning coffee (that's when you know it's bad). I skipped lunch today too and have been drinking lots of water to detox my body and flush those evil hot dogs out of my system. Things are looking better. A nice, healthy dinner awaits.

11 Comments:

Blogger A-Bomb said...

Hey D - did you guys eat them naked or with condiments?

(Yeah, yeah, I'm serving up that softball to you..)

But seriously..

10:58 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Some of mine were nekkid. Most had ketchup and/or mustard on them. I washed the last five down with a few beers. It felt like the right thing to do. Plus Pete was buying.

11:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the hot dog bun... Mega Munch's nemesis

2:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Compared to the pain of that many salty dogs and potato dogs I'll stick with my beer thank you very much.

12:37 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Good call Philly Guy. I'll take a beer hangover over a hot dog hangover any day.

7:45 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I could tell the difference beteween regular buns and those potato rolls in the first swallow. Wow, they are almost like a bagel. OK, little bit of an exaggeration.

10:30 AM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Dave, just saw the update. How did everything, ya know, come out? Or has it yet? Mine always take a good 2 days before they exit. That's unusual for me...

6:09 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I'm the same way, Skinnyboy. I can't remember if things came out yet. God, I hope so. If not, I should be getting worried.

9:01 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

So I came up with a good nickname to replace Powerhouse. After the outings we have been on so far, I am going to call myself Carey "one more than Dave" Poehlmann :)

3:28 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

It seems that way, but we'll put that to the test in Hamburg this weekend. You're going down pierogie boy.

8:27 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

Wow, that's a strong comment: "I'll take a beer hangover over a hot dog hangover any day." I had a beer (and wine) hangover last Saturday and probably would have welcomed a hot dog hangover.

6:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home