"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, August 17, 2007

WENDYS NUGGET CHALLENGE

The first annual Chicken Nugget Challenge is in the books. About 10 of us gathered at Wendy's here in Harrisburg for lunch, with five of us attempting to break the SuperSizedMeals.com "record" of 60 nuggets eaten in 36 minutes. Abusing our gastrointestinal systems is pretty much becoming a Friday afternoon ritual for us.

In the end, I would come out on top with a finishing time of 19 minutes, 40 seconds. I won't claim that's an amazing time or anything. I'm sure it'll be broken soon (and I hope it is), but it gets us a little closer to a respectable record. Here's the complete list of finishers:

1. Dave – 60 nuggets eaten in 19 minutes, 40 seconds
2. Jeremy – 54.5 nuggets eaten when I finished
3. Billy – 45.5 nuggets eaten
4. Josh – 40 nuggets eaten
5. Edwin – 38 nuggets eaten


Here we are looking happy. Left to right: Jeremy, Billy, Me, Edwin and Josh. The reason Jeremy looks more bloated than usual is because this photo was actually taken after the contest.


Me trying to scare my nuggets. We each bought six 10-piece boxes. Jeremy called ahead and told them to put 300 nuggets in the deep frier so they'd be ready when the arrived. There are 60 nuggets in front of me, but only four boxes because I dumped two boxes into the pile before hand. By the way, my nuggets were FRESH, which means they were hot as hell. That made for an interesting first few minutes.


Edwin digs in near the end. He and Jeremy made pit stop at McDonalds beforehand to get some sweet & sour and honey mustard sauce because they claimed "McDonalds' sauce is better."


Here's the group during the early, hungry minutes. That hunger would disappear pretty quickly. I ordered a small Frosty (you see it next to my water with no ice). That frosty would come in handy toward the end. After 50 nuggets I was feeling pretty bad, so I cracked open the frosty and used it to dip and wash down the remaining 10 nuggets. The coldness and sugar really seemed to help give me a second wind down the final stretch.

A full set of pictures can be seen here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

You know, the wendy's that I went to when doing the first Value Meal stunt was torn down. Gotta embarrass myself in front of a whole new set of employees to try and top this stunt.
All three of my elementary schools were torn down also. I think the CIA is trying to erase my past. Wonder what they are going to do with our Sub.

3:38 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

Dave,
You continue to be the true spirit of the Competitve Eater. I LOVE these challeges that you do with your friends Keep it up!

12:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome job Dave. Glad to see you are still showing how it's done. And yea, cholesterol schmesterol. Now diabetes is what's in the back of my mind....Whamp whhhammmp!

10:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see that I am not the only one that can go to Wendy's and eat 60 nuggets. Last time I went I ate 62 and thought that was pretty good. Then I saw that you ate 80 McNuggets on Supersizedmeals.com. Good job! I can't touch that.

10:23 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

if you guys are still looking for something to do over there, try this out
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=15159351

4:45 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

Nice job. I'll be interested to hear if the nugget hangover was as bad as it was last time!

11:00 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I'll post a little something about my nugget hangover this week. It wasn't fun.

7:33 AM

 
Blogger Domenico said...

Very nice, it looks like this was fun. Great job!

1:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home