"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

THERE'S NOTHIN' ON THAT PLATE BUT GRISTLE AND FAT

When most people think of competitive eating in movies, they think of one of two scenes: Lardass spewing blueberry pie all over the place in Stand By Me (a great scene, but that's not the image we're going for) and Paul Newman downing 50 eggs in one hour in Cool Hand Luke (an image of true intestinal fortitude).

But lost in all of that is perhaps the funniest competitive eating scene in cinematic history, John Candy conquering of "The Old 96er" in The Great Outdoors while Dan Akroyd offers words of encouragement. Carey reminded me of this scene in a comment he left a few days ago.

The eating part of the clip below actually ends at around the 1:15 mark counting down (not sure why the person who made the clip included the extra scenes). Things I love about this clip: the wife ordering the "medley of perch," the freezer scene, John Candy's meatsweats, and his dazed expression as he leaves the restuarant (we know the feeling, don't we guys?). "Bon appetite!"

9 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

well,I guess I was off a little with that quote. Been years since I saw that one. Great clip. Add the pancake scene and you got a perfect highlights reel. There should be a video of all the best extreme eating scenes. Food Gone Wild.

8:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This IS a great, forgotten CE movie scene! I remember being slightly traumatized as a kid by the thought of the maggots that made Elvis leave the building.

10:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a side not, Uncle Buck featured the pancakes which I believe Caerey is referring to. I mean how can you forget flipping them with a snowshovel! Priceless. I too was traumatized by the Great Outdoors. I remember watching it with my dad as a kid then telling him that I hoped to eat a steak that big someday. I have yet to do it but am still looking for the opportunity. Europe has the only offers thus far that I know of. I can't think of any stateside off the top of my head but don't think there is any either.

11:14 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Wow, Ian. I am very disappointed in you, being an AICE eater and all. There are like a dozen stateside challenges listed on the AICE website alone. Many of them just the steak without sides. But, I will give it to you, I was confusing Great Outdoors with Uncle Buck.

11:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen penis wrinkle, there aren't many close to 96 ounces. You'll find two stateside: Ohio and Florida respectively. Something tells me a roadtrip should be in order...

3:30 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

And that's two more than you knew of before. You're on, pretty boy.

4:16 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Hey, hey, hey...count me in. I may not have the best capacity, but I'm good with a map.

We've gotta get warmed up with the 32 ouncer at Texas Roadhouse here in Harrisburg.

And how is there NOT more giant steak challenges. This is the United States of America. We INVENTED gluttony and excess!!

6:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I'm supposedly killer on the mic!

9:20 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Another awesome thing I noticed from this clip...the menus are printed on pieces of a tree!

("And the bucket of salad" "Oh, I'll split that with you." "You will? OK that would help.")

10:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home