"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, October 23, 2008

PIZZA BURGER CONTEST RESULTS

Battle pizza burger is in the books and after a week of voting, Wild Bill's open faced creation is the clear winner, with 14 votes. My saucy, peppery burger finished second with six votes, followed by Skinnyboy's creation with four votes. Congrats Wild Bill!

Now I know there were some ballot stuffing accusations surrounding the sheer number of votes for Wild Bill's burger on Wild Bill's own blog (I didn't count the one anonymous comment), but I believe we've got a fair contest here and his novel outside-the-bun thinking is what won him this contest. At left are the burgers (click to enlarge). Mine on top, Bill's in the middle, and Skinnyboy's on the bottom.

I have to say, I loved my burger. It's definitely not the pizza burger you remember from high school. I started with a layer of pepperoni on the bottom bun topped with a pan fried 6 ounce 80 percent lean beef burger patty smothered in two thick slices of mozzarella cheese. I used Newman's Own marinara spaghetti sauce (it was the thickest I could find) and topped that with a few slices of crisp onion and green pepper. The great thing about this burger was that it really did taste like a pizza AND a burger. You could taste every ingredient in every bite, but the pepper was definitely the star of the show.

Thanks to everyone for voting. I think our next burger is going to be a burger packed between two grilled cheese sandwiches (as seen here and suggested by Skinnyboy). Can wait to see how that comes out.

10 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

I can't believe an open faced ground chuck wrap won a burger contest! No offense, I mean it looks delicious, but I could have submitted a Linguini Alfredo with meat sauce and won if that is the case.

9:56 AM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

It was Wild Bill's interpretation of a burger. Not my thing either, Carey, but evidently it is to his buddies that went to his blog.

10:05 AM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

It wasn't a wrap - read the construction details on my blog and the reason why a bun wasn't sufficient. Would it have been better if I had folded it and skewered it together for the picture, then cut it in half for an internal view? If you're bitching about the shape of the burger, is a Wendy's hamburger not a burger because it is square?
Andrew didn't use a BUN either!

10:37 AM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

For that matter, Louis' Lunch, one of the (disputed) founders of the hamburger, serves their burgers on TOAST! Are they not a burger?

10:40 AM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

When you get a burger at a better restaurant, generally it doesn't come together, the burger is presented on the bottom half of the bun, with the top off to the side with the lettuce, tomato, and onion, so you can choose to remove any of the garnish. Technically, an open face presentation. Still not a burger??

10:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think all the burgers looked amazing. I can tell you though that the first one tasted amazing as well.

Looking forward to the next challenge!

1:41 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

A burger can be defined many ways. Hell, if you order an Atkins burger, you get a burger patty wrapped in lettuce.

Of course, I'm a traditionalist, so I think a burger should be served between some sort of bread or other carbohydrate laden vessel. The good news is, the next contest leaves little room for creative license when it comes to the bun...it's a burger served between two grilled cheese sandwiches! A lot of burger snobs would probably turn their noses up at that one too.

1:45 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Dave, why do you have to behave so grown up?!?

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Wow, let's not get bent out of shape. You do know there is a difference between a pizza burger and a burger pizza, right?

8:46 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Never said anything about the shape of the burger, and as far as Skinnyboy's entry, it is between two halves of a bun made out of pizza, just like your LL sandwich is two halves of toast. But you shouldn't get worked up about it, I still said that your taco looks delicious.

9:58 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home