"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, September 04, 2008

TRAINING DAY

After my disappointing performance this past weekend in Hamburg, I've decided to embark on a crash training regimen to give me a boost in the whoopie pie contest coming up on September 20. (By the way, I spoke with the contest organizer and she informed me that there is no advanced registration for the contest. In her words, "Just show up before the contest and everyone who signs up will get to compete.")

Anyhow, I'll train every other day before the contest (starting tonight) and in each of the three days prior to the contest to increase my stomach capacity. I'll try different techniques, all of which include large quanties of low-calorie food chased with a liter or two of water. I realize my efforts might be "too little, too late" -- sort of like getting off the couch and running for two weeks to prepare for a marathon -- but it can't hurt, and even if it provides me with a mental edge, it's worth a shot.

My goal: To whoop Carey, Joel and Jill...and not let Hickman double up on me! Between now and then, I'll also be studying this video:


UPDATE: My first training session went pretty well. I can't say I enjoyed it, but it felt productive and it's inspired me to continue my regimen until game day on September 20.

7 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

dude, that training would be more than enough. Every other day until the comp, stretching your stomach that much you definitely will be prepared for an amateur contest. Good luck.

BTW, are you calling me out in this thread? Is this going to be another one of those IFOCE/AICE things? Where's the youtube video?

10:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What time on September 20th? I have my first rowing lesson in the morning, from 8am until 10am. I also need to know where I am heading to?

What train station am I going to, Dave?

Carey: LOL!

7:37 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

The video is on its way (a spoof video of the Sciullo video would be great).

Jill - Whoopie pies starts at 1:30pm. Not sure if you can make it with that rowing schedule (something tells me the rowing will have to wait?). I'm going to be leaving Harrisburg for Lancaster at 1130 or so. Pretty sure there's a Lancaster train stop though.

9:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, if there was ever a contest someone could really kick my ass in, I would have to say it'd be a short one. With you practicing with Whoopie pies and doing a little training, I think you're going to beat me in this. It's a technique/skill contest more so then capacity, but DO NOT underestimate how your body begins to feel once you've eaten the 45th pie going on to 46. I do look forward to seeing everyone there.

Carey, tell me Fiora is eating in this one as well?!?

2:52 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

actually, I just got a schedule update putting me in China on that weekend. I will keep you guys informed.

On another note, Podelski beat me by one slice to win the Quakertown pizza contest. Short training does not prepare you for the chewing involved in a pizza contest. Congrats Joel.

9:10 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Hopefully you can make the whoopie pie contest. Nice try on pizza. I've been in a few pizza contests, and one thing I remember from them is the soreness in the jaw from the crusts.

9:25 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

well, everything is booked, looks like I will be in China during Daves win at Whoopie Pies. Maybe I will find a contest or two when I am over there. Anyone know how eating contest is written in Chinese?

2:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home