"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, November 14, 2008

WHAT'S FOR DESSERT?

The thing about good meals – or any meal, for that matter – is that they all come to an end at some point. The last bite of a Whopper. Savor it. The final hickory barbecue wing. Bittersweet. The last spoonful of chocolate chip cookie dough. At least it’s got three pieces of cookie dough in it.

In many ways this blog, from March 11, 2006 until the present day, has been one of the best meals I’ve ever had. Which is why, after 32 months and 453 posts, it’s difficult to admit that this post is my final bite. Oh sure, I could keep eating for many more months – years probably – but you gotta pay the bill and leave sometime, right?

I’ll still be around though. On MySpace, on EatFeats, on Flickr (it'll always be a sort of photo blogging extension of Mega Munch) and commenting on other CE blogs. And if you want to contact me via email, feel free (shoffner1974@yahoo.com).

As for the UEPa, we'll still be meeting and conquering restaurant challenges throughout the state. I'll also still keep on eating competitively in real life (I’ll never stop doing that), but my energy levels when it comes to food blogging just aren’t what they used to be and I didn’t want to simply disappear like so many bloggers do, into thin air with no explanation. I may even start a new blog. Something about baseball statistics or weird things found on eBay. I’ve got a few other ideas too.

It’s been a great ride and I won’t completely rule out a comeback here on MM, but for now I’m stepping away from the food blogging table. A huge thanks to everyone who has read and commented here over the years. This thing started out as a stupid blog about competitive eating and it turned into a stupid blog about competitive eating that actually gained a few readers. I hope to be half as lucky with my future blogging endeavors.

And so, I’ll leave everyone with three things I’ve learned during my time as the author of Mega Munch:

1. Adding ranch dressing to almost anything will increase your capacity by up to 10 percent. The same is true for competing against friends.

2. Bite, chew, swallow, repeat. If unable to complete steps three and four, perform any or all of the following: heave and feign nausea, jump up and down, press on stomach and wince painfully, fake step one and continue step two, throw remaining food items at crowd and/or fellow competitors.

3. When it comes to oversized food items, size and quality are inversely proportional. Exceptions: Ice cream sundaes, hot dogs, and the yet-to-be-created giant piece of bacon.

Speaking of bacon, I’ll leave you all with one last mouth-watering image. Thanks for reading, keep on eating, and don’t forget to tip the wait staff.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog will be greatly missed. Thanks for all the hard work. Every new entry completely made my day.

7:43 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks anon. It's nice to know my ramblings about food and gorging could brighten someone's day. In the interest of learning more about my (former) readers, who are you and are you a CE fan?

9:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I shed a tear at this news my friend. I don't really know what to say here since I know every time I see you, I'll mention how I miss the blog...

Now, my minimal (at best) posting on CE sites like EatFeats, WingTuT and Steakbellie will now mildly increase due to needing an outlet.

See you at the table, champ. AND thanks for all the posts.

10:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nooooooooooo! Don't goooooo!!!!

:o*(

10:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I just found out about Bacon flavored floss.
I was ready to tell you and have you post about it.

11:23 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Invader, I thought of you a lot while I wrote this final post (which took me about a week to put together) because whenever we'd meet, you always told me to "keep blogging." Your brother as well. Thanks for the encouragement!

I'd like to stay, Jill, but as you can see from posting frequency lately, my heart just wasn't in it and I didn't think it was fair to the three or four people reading this thing to keep up my sporadic output. I'll still see you all at the table though!

And when we meet again, Wing Tut has to promise to bring some of that bacon flavored floss.

10:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stopped blogging for the same reason. The level of energy just wasnt there anymore. Regardless of the fact that people were still flocking to my site i still got the feeling that i was typing or talking to myself most of the time. I am contemplating making a comeback in the future but that little voice inside of me has a negative eatfeats comment waiting in the wings. "Oh shit he's back? it was so nice without him" Potential comments of that nature give me second thoughts about returning. I always enjoyed your site and it will be sorely missed

11:09 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

MM,
This is unwelcome news for me but as a multi-year blogger, I understand the kind of effort it takes to stay consistant.

If you go through my own blog there is a progression of topics, styles & frequency. I think you cant force yourself to do it, it just has to happen.

Hopefully I will see you at a UEPA event this winter as it seems that WB will be 100% non-pro this year and I dont have anything on the radar until Nathans in the Spring.

Kind of hard to believe that I wont be competing for half a year, but like blogging, it works better when you miss it.

I always welcome more Invader!!!!

11:32 AM

 
Blogger Liz said...

You'll be missed! It was great having a blogging buddy during the height of my CE coverage. See you on Flickr!

12:49 PM

 
Blogger Erik "the Red" Denmark said...

Hey MM, sad to hear that you have decided to leave the blogosphere. We need intelligent non-biased opinions like yours in CE and I suggest you re-consider.

I know it can sometimes feel like a job to continually post and try to maintain a readership. But I think blogging should be an expression of yourself and your interests that others are free to read at their leisure. But you should always blog with yourself in mind first. If it makes you feel good, do it! A motto I live by...

4:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MM, will miss your site. Glad we finally got to meet during the summer and hopefully, along with Steakbellie, we can sit down for a big meal.

5:04 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks BB, Steak, Eric, Liz and US.

I know what you mean about blogs evolving and changing over time, Steak. I've tried to keep mine the same, and maybe that's what burned me out. That evolution is also why I like reading yours!

I like your advice, Eric. My next blog (whatever it may be) will follow that personal expression idea much closer.

As for sitting down for a meal soon, US...we definitely have to do that. Hopefully Steak and Kong can join us. Now all we need to do is find a restaurant that can handle us.

8:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home