"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, March 21, 2008

GOODBYE LENT...I WISH I COULD SAY IT WAS FUN

A few minutes after 8 p.m. last night in a Burger King just south of Baltimore, I tasted beef for the first time in more than 40 days. It came courtesy of a Triple Whopper with Cheese (and bacon) and it was, for lack of a better word(s), fucking incredible.

It didn't sit well in my stomach after we got back on the road, but that didn't stop me from ordering two double cheeseburgers from McDonalds when we stopped for gas two hours later. Those also caused my stomach to twist and turn a bit, but that still didn't deter me from ordering the "Three Meat Breakfast" from a Georgia Denny's at 6 a.m. the next morning. Breakfast meat was one of the things I missed the most during my Lent adventure.

Now we're in Florida. Our plans to hit a Yankees game tonight were dashed (sold out), so we've scored some tickets to a Rusted Root concert in Tampa. Tomorrow it's a Phillies game in Clearwater. Sunday it's the Mets in Port St. Lucie. Monday's schedule has yet to be determined, but when it's near 80 degrees and sunny, it really doesn't matter.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lent is now OFFICIALLY over! At least mine is, cheater. Proud of you though for tenaciously sticking with it.

Get ready for what's on your plate Tuesday.

4:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that you're eating meat again, will we see some more burger recipe posts?

5:40 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks. It was difficult at first, but it became easier toward the end. I thought about giving up meat permanently but then I remembered how much I like chicken wings and steaks and hot dogs and pepperoni pizza AND burgers...which I will be making more of soon.

1:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home