"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, February 08, 2008

LENT IS HARD

I’ve never done the Lent thing; giving something up – usually a guilty pleasure or some other vice – for 40 days. In fact, I’m not even religious. But this year I’ve decided to give up meat. Not just red meat (as some people suggested), but ALL MEAT.

And the funny thing is, I’m sort of looking forward to it. I mean, I know it’ll suck at times, but when those 40 days are over, that first burger will taste like heaven.

Even though it's only been two days, it’s already been a challenge. On the first night, a group of us went to dinner at a co-worker's house. She made baked macaroni and cheese with bits of bacon throughout. Normally the perfect food, but I had to pick out the bacon and pile it into a tempting little pile of pork on the side of my plate. Picking bacon OUT of my food? THIS is what I've become?! Then yesterday a bunch of us from work went to Five Guys for lunch. They got awesome greasy cheeseburgers. I got a grilled cheese.

I’ve also already failed. Last night after our last dodgeball game of the season (we lost 27 to 5) we went out for beers at Gilligan’s. I instinctively ordered 24 teriyaki wings and before I realized what I’d done, the waitress had already placed the order. Of course I ate them, but I only HALF enjoyed them while thinking about how weak I was. After the last wing I decided to RESTART my meatless Lent today. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Won't happen.

I tried this once and it was too tempting. It started as giving up meat. Then progressed to "bacon" doesn't count. Then just red meat. Then -- screw it. I Love Meat!

Good Luck.

For laughs, and being "not religous" (me either) ask people why they give up meat on Fridays. The answers you get will be hilarious.

A guy at my office today said "Because I Respect Jesus."
Which may be true, but really got me laughing.

1:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I follow the Friday rule and slipped on the first day. At least it was on chicken. Thats like half a meat.

11:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home