"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, December 13, 2007

BURGER #4: CHOCOLATE CRUSTED CRANBERRY BURGER

After a traditional burger like the Big Mock, I decided to go the fru-fru route with the Chocolate Crusted Cranberry Burger. I really had no idea what to expect with this one.

Main Ingredients

The main ingredients are all here. Half a cup of whole berry cranberry sauce and quarter cup of finely chopped fresh mint was mixed into the beef. Each patty was encrusted with a mixture of half a cup of brown sugar, two packets of cocoa, a pinch of salt and a pinch of chili powder.

Chocoburger

The final product was a very sweet burger, obviously owing to the half cup of cranberry sauce in the beef, the chocolate/sugar coating and a topping of cranberry sauce after cooking. It's hard to say how much of that sweetness was due to the chocolate and sugar crust and how much came from the cranberry sauce, but the sauce was by far the dominant flavor throughout this burger. As the recipe warned, the sugar coating caused quite a few flare ups on the grill, which I suspect might have also cooked off much of the sweet coating.

Overall this burger sounded a lot more interesting than it tasted. As I may have mentioned with my previous Coconut Flake Hawaiian Burger, I'm not a big fan of sweet burgers, but as far as "gourmet" concoctions go, this one was relatively easy to make and might score you some points with chocolate-loving girlfriends.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

Dave, your next burger needs to be a pound of ground bacon, with cheez whiz, lettuce and tomato on a potato roll.

11:23 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

I love this series.

Bring back the comic too.

11:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave failed to mention that this is apparently not a kid-friendly recipe. Our "little," Kavon, took one bite and then let it fall out of his mouth! I, however, actually liked this one better than the others that we've tried so far. The chocolate was very subtle, and the cranberry sauce was a good alternative to ketchup or another more traditional condiment.

3:43 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Love the bacon idea, Carey. Not sure my doctor would love it though, but my doctor is kind of an ass anyhow.

Yeah, I've thought about the comic alot lately. Glad you remember it. I'll def revive it.

And yes, our little brother wasn't crazy about it. He would have liked the Big Mock a lot better I'm sure.

7:43 PM

 
Anonymous kang ji hwan said...

This waas a lovely blog post

9:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home