"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, November 24, 2007

"I YAM WHAT I YAM AND THAT'S ALL THAT I YAM!"

Popeye and I have a lot in common. He joined the Navy, I joined the Navy. He eats spinach by the can, I eat spinach by the can (I'm still working on the "squeezing it into the air and catching it in my mouth" part). He smokes a pipe and has freakishly large forearms, I once smoked a pipe and...you get the point.

He was also fond of saying to anyone who would listen, "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam!" I don't really remember why he said that, but it got me thinking: When it comes to my classification as an eater, what am I?
.
Truth is, I've been defined as a lot of things. I've been called two-faced and a traitor (for eating in IFOCE contests and with AICE eaters). I've been called a blogger (because this website overshadows my eating skills, which I won't argue). I've been called "a limp-wristed pansy" (because I gagged on the balut...that stuff was nasty, people!). And, most recently, I was called "independent" (according to Carey, an unnamed assailant branded me with that label).

Funny thing is, "independent" is a pretty fair description of who I yam.

I'm not an IFOCE eater, meaning I'm not ranked or contracted by them and I don't limit myself solely to IFOCE contests. Honestly, the thought of swearing off local contests, restaurant challenges and competitions against friends is horrifying. I'm also not an AICE eater, even though the term "independent" is in their title. It's true that I have eaten with AICE eaters in restaurant challenges and I call more than a few of them friends, but I've never eaten in an officially sanctioned AICE contest.

So I guess that makes me an independent eater. There, I said it, I'm independent. Not tied down by contracts, rules, commissioners or any other organizational bodies. I eat what I want, when I want, with who want, where I want, and how I want. And, if I'm not feeling in the "fertilized chicken egg mood," I'll even eat as little as I want.

17 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

Only one week before our next non-sanctioned, non-IFOCE, non-AICE, independant co-ed restaurant challenge, right?

6:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm looking forward to it! A special thanks (in advance) to Brian Subich for agreeing to drive me around.

BTW, Dave, did you get those Wing Bowl tickets? I'm looking around, but I can't find a place (online) that offers them. Weren't they supposed to go on sale the day after Thanksgiving? (Yesterday)

6:57 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

One week man! I'm getting hungry. As for Wing Bowl tix, the WIP gang told me they go on sale "Monday after Thanksgiving." As for where, I'm not sure. Maybe Ticketmaster? Last year they had tons of tix on eBay, so I'm not worried. On eBay they went for between $10 and $15 a ticket (up from the $5 face value).

7:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again I'm the only person that listens to the station in the eating community. Monday starts Wing Bowl Season. They'll be announcing the new sponsor and the sale date for tickets. Along with taking calls for contestants.

7:15 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Is Subich going? I haven't met him yet. If so is he trying the challenge?

7:17 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Hey Pete, I remember the time I spent listening to Anthony Gargano too, but I stopped once I got XM at the office. Post here when you find out exactly when they go on sale. We could sell any extra premo seats we have at the tailgater.

7:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carey: SUbich is going AND doing the challenge!

8:53 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I'm beginning to realize that the topic of this post should have been Wing Bowl and Niner Diner!

PETE - So no one knows when Wing Bowl tix are going on sale? Will they be announcing that on Monday or just sometime AFTER Monday?

Big Brian Subich is going to the Niner Diner with us. As for what he's eating, who knows. Last time I spoke with him, he's just going to be hanging out and coaching us through our burgers (he's done it before).

7:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're announcing the the sale date on Monday.

11:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! I made a mistake. I assumed that he was doing the challenge, but since he's with IFOCE, I guess he can't.

Sorry about that, Brian. I hope you didn't get into any trouble because of me.

Back to Dave's original post...

Dave, I think you should join AICE. You have AICE buddies; you know that we are cool, well-adjusted folks (more or less). Plus, there are no limitations put on you as to what contests/challenges you can do. Join us, Dave. Join AICE.

11:43 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Did Brian finish the Niner challenge before? I thought no one completed it.

3:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Independent Eaters are AICE EAters..Not sure why people wish to seperate the two

4:27 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

No, they are not the same, because there are a lot of competitions that are independent that are not run by AICE.

8:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Carey. Dale Boone still did independent contests in Atlanta after he was banned from AICE.

Hey Carey, where have you been? Still working hard? Come back to us, Carey! Come back to AICE competitions!

9:20 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Can one be an "AICE eater" if they've never eaten in an officially sanctioned AICE contest and aren't ranked by AICE? I don't think so.

I agree that semantically an independent eater falls under the umbrella of what the Association of Independent Competitive Eaters stands for, but I think to be an official "AICE eater" you have to make a commitment to eating in AICE contests. Otherwise, the thousands of people across the United States who enjoy engaging in eating contests with friends or partaking in restaurant challenges would, by default, be "AICE eaters."

9:48 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Jill- Soon, very soon.

Pete- Are you going to need a ride next week? Tell me now.

11:33 PM

 
Blogger la beauheme said...

I vote Vigilante

4:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home