"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, November 29, 2007

THE NINER DINER IS READY FOR US (SORT OF)

At the suggestion of Carey and the guy on the right, I called the Niner Diner just to make sure they'd be ready for an assault of 8 to 10 competitive eaters on Saturday.

In a nutshell, they're not. BUT, the waitress and I talked it out and she talked to her manager and they'll be able to accomodate us. Glenda assured me that they're "just a rinky dink diner" and the burger challenge is just something the manager does for fun. Turns out, they've never had a group this size turn out for the burger. Not even close.

When the manager got word that eight competitive eaters were showing up, he immediately back peddaled on his promise of a free meal to everyone who finishes it in the two-hour time limit. I assured Glenda that only a few of us even had a chance of finishing it. She then offered gift certificates. I countered with the suggestion that they give away a free meal to the first person in our group to finish the burger and fries. After a quick consultation with the manager, we had a deal. Actually, a customer in the store this morning offered to pick up the tab on the winning meal.
.
Glenda called me back a few minutes later and said that the manager agreed to pay for EVERYONE'S meal (whether they finish or not) if the person who finishes the burger challenge can ALSO finish the pancake challenge in an additional two hours. He also said he's closing down the diner from 11:30 to 1 pm to accomodate our group, but a bunch of customers will be on hand to watch the action unfold. I just sent a news release about the event to area newspaper and TV stations, so there might be some media coverage in this too.

16 Comments:

Blogger A-Bomb said...

Pancakes too? What's the dl on that challenge?

9:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send some thing to the Altoona Mirror. They'll cover it.

Tell 'em ex-St.Francis Red Flash football player Derek Payne will be there!

And maybe hit up the Johnstown Democrat, too.

10:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going to be able to make it to the Niner-Diner. I have to get my body ready to take in a 7lb pizza in 30 min for wingbowl. Sorry for being a punk, but we all know how much I wana get in and look good.

10:44 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Holy crap, shuttin down? Wow, that is impressive. Let's have our next meeting at the Marquee in NYC. see if they close off the VIP area for us.

Ian, are you going to try the double challenge? Are we actually going to sit there for another two hours?

So do we plan to meet at 11:30, or Noon?

I was not really worried about the price if I don't finish it, but I really don't want to get cheated if I do finish.

11:28 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Do they know who they are dealing with? We got the Baltimore Pancake King coming along with us.

11:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm pancakes.... so it's basically, eat breakfast.

Then eat a big lunch.

can I crap in between?

TUT

12:19 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Well, when Derek puts it that way, let's all meet there at 10 am to try both. Start with the pancakes and then the burger.

I think Pete got the lean put on him by the IFOCE higher ups. Doesn't make sense not eating a 3 lb burger and 5 pounds of fries because you need to get your body ready to eat. Good luck with the stunt Pete.

12:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This is shaping out very nicely. Thanks for calling Dave, you are the Pres. after all.

Regardless of what happens it is going to be a blast. Good company, potentially good food and a fun way to kill a Saturday morning.

Aside from that, I don't think that both challenges are possible in one sitting. In a span of four hours, you are dealing with ALL the grease from 5lbs of fries, a "3lb" burger (realisticly 5+) and then gas from the pancakes. The weight is NOT the issue, it's the FOOD! I'd like to say I'll be finishing the burger challenge but honestly don't think it'll happen. The fries will be my swan song. They've hurt me in the past and will haunt me Saturday for good measure.

In the event it goes over more smoothly than anticipated, I hope one of us at least tries the pancakes if they finish Tiny's Challenge. Hell, I'd just like to see someone go from lunch to breakfast. I mean crazy-talk here!!!

12:57 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

PHILLY GUY - When's your Wing Bowl stunt? Good luck with it. Get it on video.

We're meeting at the Niner Diner at NOON. I think he's shutting down at 11:30 to start making the burgers. I'm going to call ahead from the road to give him the final numbers of how many will be there.

CAREY - I agree that it would suck to finish and not get it for free. If you finish FIRST it will be free. I'll tell you what, if you finish it and you're not the first to finish, I'll pay you $20. Let's just say, I'm confident I'll be hanging on to that dough.

2:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wingador made an open challenge to eat a 7lb pizza in 30 min and you're in. They're taking calls tomorrow and I'm accepting his challenge. There will be video on philly.com. Right now all I know is that its 24 inches and Wingador did it in 19 minutes. I'll be attempting a 28inch pie tonight. Depending on the results I'll be calling in around 6:30 am into WIP.

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Pete, did you see the video yet of the punk who tried three steak sandwiches in 5 minutes? He didn't even get through two of them.

Good luck, Pete. What does a 7 pound pizza look like?

Dave, if you are saying that you will hold on to your $20 because you know I will finish first, then don't forget that Ian will be there, and he has a good chance at winning.

If, however, you are saying that I won't finish the challenge, well........ yeah, there is a good chance of that, isn't there?

2:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd rather stick with Noon... I'm going hunting that morning.

Maybe if you're lucky, I'll bring fresh venison.

2:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He had 5 min!! I Should have thought of doing that. Here I am trying what might be the hardest stunt of the year.

3:22 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

It's all about the Cheese Whiz, man. You should find an industrial sized jar or can of Whiz (or just several regular sized jars) and attempt to suck that down in a short period of time.

3:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the 7lbs of pizza would somehow be better for me Dave.

3:47 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

wow! Nice deal you got going! Good luck and big eating to everyone.

4:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home