"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, November 09, 2007

MMMM...GREENBACKS

A wise man once said, "Mo' money, mo' problems." Roughly translated, it means "more money, more problems."

The argument about whether prize money should be spread farther down the table is raging again on Eat Feats. It seems most people are in favor of kicking some cash down to 7th or 8th place. And why not? Even if it's a hundred bucks, it can't hurt, right? Well, most people agree, except "McCain." (Not John McCain. Though he is a republican, so he'd probably support a "rich get richer" strategy.) In this Eat Feats post, McCain proposes "that if you want Super Paul (unknown), [...] Megamunch (a blogger), and Carey Poehlman (banned) to headline your event, then adopt the pay structure they’re pushing for."

He goes on to half-heartedly argue that "well-known eaters" will only show up to contests under the current pay structure. I don't agree with him and I think he's not fulling comprehending the simplicity of this proposed pay-out system. I won't break down my proposal here, but I will say it only requires a few hundred dollars shaved off the top and trickled down to the 5 through 8 spots. Hell, keep the big fat top prize and shave some money off the second and third place totals if you want to! (I offer proposed numbers here and so does Rhonda Evans in a very smart way.)
.
McCain is obviously inside the IFOCE or a top-ranked eater who doesn't want his (or her?) share of money to shrink. My guess is he's an IFOCE lackey, since, as an eater, you'd have to be a huge fucking dick to want to not reward the passion and hard work of lower ranked guys.

After all, some of the sport's most notable and endearing personalities are lower-ranked eaters. And they're often the ones who are most passionate about the sport. You'd pretty much have to be to keep traveling to contests to get nothing in return.

16 Comments:

Blogger A-Bomb said...

Forget Gore.. www.draftmegamunch.com

9:52 AM

 
Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

Carey Poehlman (banned)

Banned?

4:18 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

He flew into a fit of rage during a pickled beet eating contest and bit an attendant. It was damn funny, but probably not a good decision.

Also, I should amend my accusation that "McCain" is an IFOCE insider. In a subsequent comment on that same Eat Feats post he revealed his full name (and it's actually McCain!).

5:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it on eatfeats, so I'll say it here. According to most people's logic only the top 3 team's players should get paid.

6:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mega Munch
Is his name really William "Mack" McCain? He posted under it, but it still could be some lackey. Does anyone know him or has anyone ever seen him at a competition? A lot of us on Eatfeats know a few of the other guys and can vouch for one another. Just because I don't know the name doesn't mean anything, but if no one knows of him, he's probably a figment of some Internet Warrior who's afraid to go out in public.

9:53 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

wow, Dave. You took his word for it pretty easily.

That attendant's ear shouldn't have been anywhere near my plate of pickled beets.

11:39 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, I guess I was being a little gullible. Google turns up lots of various mentions of the name, but no leads.

8:24 AM

 
Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

Dang. Wish I could have seen that. Does anybody have video?

Banned for how long?

6:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe some of the reason the money doesnt go further past 3rd is that people dont want to do any more paper work. Tax Forms, Checks, Stamps...not hard but a pain in the ass....I can see a very fast debate in teh IFOCE office about it..."What do you want to double the work for?????"

7:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I had no idea Carey was so..."unstable". Carey, you're like the Mike Tyson of competitive eating!

By the way: I now have a Blogger account. Dave, can you add me to your list of links? I added you to mine, but I'm still learning how to build up my page. For now, the links are at the bottom of the page

11:55 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

OK, first of all, I am banned from the IFOCE because of my ties to the AICE organization, and not because of the impromptu tie breaker round at the pickled beet competition.
Now, onto the debate. There are no forms for tax purposes on any prize money won that is less than $5000. The IFOCE is not required to fill out a W-2G for anyone getting less than that, and for their own tax purposes, they only have to deal with the total amount, and increasing how many people get money has no bearing.

10:04 AM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

W-2G is for gambling purposes, no? I'd think the people who get winnings are sort of treated as independent contractors.. 1099..

12:53 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

well if that is the way they pay out then I can see there being more paperwork. I wonder if they actually have to do it that way.

1:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear your not the Mike Tyson of competitive eating after all, Carey. Just an accident, right? LOL.

And Happy Veterans Day to both you (Carey) and Dave! Thank you for your contribution to the U.S. Navy and for keeping America safe! YOU GUYS ARE MY (AMERICAN) HEROS!

3:51 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Well everyone hates paperwork, but isn't that what interns are for? Can you imagine being the IFOCE intern? Instead of fetching coffee they fetch buckets of chicken livers.

Thanks for the Vet's Day shout out, Jill. Welcome to the blogosphere! I'll add your new site to my blog roll.

6:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home