"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

THIS FORTUNE SUCKS (IN BED)

While driving home from Maine earlier this month, I stopped in Groton, Connecticut, home of the nation's oldest submarine base and where I spent all six-and-a-half years of my Naval career. Carey knows it well. He and I were stationed on the same submarine there. (Carey, check out the dates on some of of those pics and the photographer on a few of the last ones.)

While we were there, we grabbed lunch. I had my heart set on IHOP (the site of many a late night and early drunken morning meal after a night out at the enlisted club or clubbing in Providence), but the IHOP had been replaced by a friggin' Advance Auto Parts. So we settled on a Chinese buffet. Below was the fortune Heather received in her cookie.

Any other time it would have just been weird, but after being away from our house for awhile, it made me pretty nervous. Adding the old "in bed" trick to the end only made it worse.

Bad fortune

According to a New York Times article, the ominous prediction is the result of recent attempts by the nation's largest fortune cookie manufacturer to freshen up its fortunes with "more contemporary" insight. Turns out the assholes were wrong. I laughed then and again when I got home. (But not in bed.)

8 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

set this pic to public. I need to fav it. I love the orange yellow background.

11:03 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

It's public now. The background is the cover of a book of Mark Rothko's work. It happened to be under the lamp which I used to light the photo.

2:05 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

You went to the Panda Buffet in New London? I go there every time I am in Groton.

1:49 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Ian, who is foodfan263? Is that your brother? Anyway, Dave, have you seen the Hamburg videos yet?

http://www.youtube.com/user/foodfan263

11:23 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

Stuffing your face with House LoMein, Reading books on Abstract Expressionism....You're my kind of Guy!!!!

4:50 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I am going to assume that was Heather's book.

5:16 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

No Panda Buffet. We went to some buffet in Groton.

I'll admit, Heather has most of the artistic taste in our relationship, but no, Rothko was my discovery. That the book was used to support a lamp isn't a good sign though.

10:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got a "more contemporary" message in my fortune cookie as well:

"Fortune said a palm can say a lot, especially when it smacks you."

Hahaha! I like that one!

7:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home