"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, October 25, 2007

WIKIWHAT?

After having been inside the sport for a while, I've noticed that the Wikipedia entry for "competitive eating" really doesn't do the subject any justice. At first I thought I was being too critical because, again, I'm "inside the sport" but then I thought, isn't that was a good Wikipedia entry is supposed to do...offer an inside perspective on a subject?

Overall the entry just seems really light on history and information about current eaters. The "Famous Eaters" section gushes about some guy named Peter Dowdeswell who broke all sorts of Guinness records, but I've never really heard of him. Then it talks about some schmuck named Daniel Jankelow who is "one of the most competitive eaters to have ever competed." That's obviously a personal addition to the page by, lemme guess, Dan Jankelow.

Long story short, the page needs some work and I'm going to make it my personal mission before the end of the year to clean it up. And don't even get me started on the "List of Record Setting Competitive Eaters" page. (Eddie "The Bear" Woofson drank 36 gallons of "mann custard" in 34 minutes? That's wrong on so many levels.)

I'll keep you updated on additions I make to the CE page. In the meantime, take a look at it and let me know what you think it needs.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't even think about entering yourself as Dave Shoffner the greatest CE blogger ever you write about.

11:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange! You'd think OJ would have been all over that entry.

2:20 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Don't worry. I will maintain the strictest standards of independance and non-bias with my upgrades.

Although, that doesn't mean the UEPa won't get a mention in there somewhere (perhaps in the "Independent Eating Organizations" section). Liz might make an appearance in the "World's Greatest CE Fans" section.

2:46 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

If Deny doesn't let us know about these things I say F him, we can go somewhere else
http://dennysbeerbarrelpub.com/

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, I was a little disappointed when I read about that over on Eat Feats. We should have gotten an invitation. Denny was never very responsive to my emails (delays) and since that's the only way he knows how to get ahold of us, it seems natural that this one slipped by.

Did they have notice of this on their website beforehand? If so, it's my fault for not checking in more often. I'll assume they at least had sign-ups in the restaurant and in local media. That's another reason we probably missed this one.

I say we go up there and try this with a team of 6 or 7 and punish the record. By the way, "Team McLovin"? Geesh.

I have to talk to Sean Gordon...he mentioned a trip up to Dennys soon. Possibly THIS WEEKEND.

5:05 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I know, team mclovin. Sounds like a sexy hamburger. Let's go to Clinton Station instead. Get in on the next largest burger.

12:04 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I've done Clinton. They suck. The service is horrible. The burgers are shit. They don't respect their burgers. No plaques on the wall, no excitement. At least that's how it was when I was there a year ago.

They did have several (bad) photocopies of an article about one of their burgers taped to the walls in several places throughout the restaurant. It was kind of weird.

I asked 4 employees about the world record burger which, supposedly, had been unveiled the day before and they all stared at me like I had football-sized goiter growing out of my neck. They were clueless.

But yeah, for the sake of mixing it up now and then, we can go back. Their dessert bar looked awesome.

7:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. What about Nanty Glo, PA? The restaurant is called the Niner Diner and has TWO challenges. Yes, TWO! One is a pancake stack while the other is a 3lb burger and 5lbs of fries. Denny's has been done so perhaps we should persue other places we haven't already been to... November 10? Anyone? Anyone?

12:38 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

One word: YES. I'll post something about this tomorrow to see who's interested.

1:27 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Can't do nov. 10th.

11:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nov. 3-11 Tut will be in Brazil.

The pancake stack was done by Subich about 2 yrs ago I belive.

11:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home