"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

ICE CREAM TRAINING

A friend at work noticed an announcement about an ice cream eating contest and tipped me off about the event. It takes place this Saturday and I've already phoned in to reserve a spot at the table. Twelve minutes, all you can eat.

Tonight I bought two containers of vanilla for a practice run. My main objective was to force myself to experience a massive ice cream headache and see how it would affect my pace. Would I be able to eat through it? Would it shut me down? Or would it just slow my appetite temporarily?

Normally I eat low-fat ice cream (Turkey Hill is the best kind), but tonight I used fat-free, sugar-free ice cream mainly because I just wanted to experience the quantity and coldness without all the other bad stuff. Interestingly, an entire container of fat-free, sugar free ice cream contains only 840 calories. That's roughly the equivalent of a Whopper with cheese (760 cals), but without all the fat! Not too bad.

Anyhow, I powered through the first container in about 9 minutes. The ice cream was a little hard, so some chewing was required. Maybe the Bruster's stuff will be softer. Sadly (yes, sadly) I didn't experience full blown brain freeze. There was some minor discomfort for 10 seconds or so at various times, but nothing that forced me to slow down. My teeth hurt somewhat from having to chew (chasing the big bites of ice cream with warm water helped, but I knew that method would fill me up fast) and my tongue got numb after about four minutes.

Oh well. We'll see what happens this Saturday. A bunch of free ice cream is on the line. A couple photos of tonight's trial run can be seen here including one of my Boston Terrier trying to sneak a bite.

6 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

Good training session, Dave. I like the photo where you were going to laugh.
Do you have to use a spoon? If not, it would benifit you to break up the ice cream with your hands while you are eating it. The warmth from your hands will melt the ice cream faster, and won't give you that brain freeze. If you have to use a spoon, hold the container to your chest to let your body heat warm it up.

9:07 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I'd considered the hands thing. I talked to X about his use of hands in last year's ice cream contest at the Water Club in Manhattan and he recommended I use a spoon. He said his hands were hurting badly by the end of the contest. Two weeks later the skin was peeling off his fingers. Mmmmm...skin.

10:26 AM

 
Blogger Liz said...

That reminds me of a technique for cutting ice cream cake--you run the knife under hot water before slicing. What if you had a mug of almost boiling water that you periodically dipped your spoon in? I don't know if that would be legal or not, though.

10:56 AM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Ouch, brain freeze and biting ice cream!

10:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mega, where is this bad boy? Also, didn't X use the batting glove idea. I have done several ice cream challenges. One tip is if brain freeze becomes a problem, try putting the spoon at the top of your mouth. Best of luck.

10:32 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Sorry Savage, I didn't see your comment in time. The contest was great (see the post). A truly embarassing defeat.

8:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home