"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Sunday, February 25, 2007

DENNY'S PRELIMINARY RESULTS

I'm helping a friend move today and will back to post more pictures and details, but in the interest of getting the news out there, here's a preliminary report about the UEPa's trip to Denny's.

The burger was amazing (123 pounds, easily topping the 105-pound record). For the two pounder contest, Ian "The Invader" Hickman won handily and SET A NEW RECORD for the fastest time to complete the two-pounder (5lb 9oz total) with a time of 14 minutes 45 seconds (previous record 15 minutes). Someone said Bob Shoudt held the 15 minute record, but I wasn't aware that he ever made it up to Denny's and that remains unconfirmed.

The German TV crew asked Mark "The Human Vacuum" Lyle to eat his two-pounder separately, with a fixed camera which they planned to use to create a sped up montage of him eating. He dug in immediately after our contest ended giving us an opportunity to cheer him on. His burger came out 15 ounces lighter than Hickman's (having allergies, he ordered his without tomatoes but with extra onions to compensate, but it was still light). Extra onions or not, he displayed awesome technique and devoured it in 13 minutes 30 seconds.

A new record? Who knows.

Wing Tut crunched the numbers and found that Hickman ate 6.03 ounces per minute (or 9.83 seconds per ounce) and Mark ate 5.48 ounces per minute (10.95 seconds per ounce). Using those rates, had Mark's burger been equal in weight to Hickman's, he would have finished with a time of 16 minutes, 14 seconds. I hate reducing it to a numbers games, which is why I think both records should stand -- one as the "with everything" record, and one as the "one item held" record.

Check back later today for pictures and more results, including a standout performance by the newest member of the UEPa.

UPDATE: I forgot to subtract the weight of the plate in my calculations. The real numbers should be:

Ian Hickman - 76 oz./11.64 seconds per ounce/5.15 ounces per minute
Mark Lyle - 61 oz./13.28 seconds per ounce/4.52 ounces per minute

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of your recollections are incorrect.

But I'll blog it up today.

12:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree.....some of that information is off. Chapman also listed my burger as 4# 1 oz which is wrong too.


Doesn't really matter to me. Ian did a great job and I was extremely disappointed at the mistake in my burger but that is how it has been for me lately. It has gotten old, let me tell you.

I also dont think 15 extra pieces of cheese or more tomatoes would have taken me 3 more minutes. It really doesn't matter at this point. I had fun on my first ever trip/try at their burger which tasted excellent for those who haven't had the pleasure.

1:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what a great group of people the UEPA is. Everyone was great.

1:48 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Sounds like we are already getting excited for another trip up there? I am ready for the three pounder, or whatever it ends up weighing. Next time I propose the race be hands free.

5:22 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Let me know what the right numbers are...I was going off a picture of the scoresheet we were using.

7:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got mine fixed!
Thanks for the correction. The UEPa is all about keeping an accurate record of events!

7:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job guys . I was wondering if the 2lb burger tasted more like a steak or sirloin burger as opposed to the giant 11 lb monster.I remember attempting the big one a few years back and when it started getting warm or somewhat cold it tasted like a bad meatloaf.

7:56 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks BB. Yeah, these burgers tasted fantastic and completely defied the logic that "the bigger the food, the worse it tastes."

9:23 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

towards the end it was getting bad, cold meatloaf was exactly what I described it as that day. I had to start dipping it in ketchup and added salt and pepper.

3:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home