"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, February 19, 2007

DENNY'S DETAILS -- IT'S ON BITCHES!

I talked to Denny today about this Saturday's world record burger event and it looks like the details of the day's events are all figured out. The new world's largest burger will be unveiled at noon and 30 minutes later the United Eaters of Pennsylvania will dig into their complimentary lunches.

Each eater (right now it looks like six of us) will get an official Denny's two pound burger and the first to finish wins. To put it in perspective, the burger in the picture above is a three-pounder. The total weight of the two-pounder, with bun and condiments, should be around four pounds and the current Denny's record time is 36 minutes. The winner gets $100 cash plus a gift certificate and the runner-up gets a gift certificate. Denny is also hooking each of us up with some goodies from the gift shop.

It takes about two-and-a-half hours to get to Clearfield from Harrisburg, so the central PA crew will probably leave here at 9 am on Saturday in order to make it up there by 11:30 and in plenty of time for the ceremony. Worst case scenario, we get up there around 11 and end up having to kill a few minutes at the restaurant bar and by the time the contest starts we're half drunk and can't eat for shit. Or is that the best case scenario? I'm not sure.

14 Comments:

Blogger SupersizedMeals.com said...

Awesome, I can't wait. I just wished I lived there so I could come too!

Reckon you could get someone to take a video of the burger and the eating comp? Would be a laugh!

Billy

8:56 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

"Oh, Billy!"

I guarantee we get a video of that!!

AND I GUARANTEE I'll break the 36 minute record!!!

Who thinks they can beat me?

9:17 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

1. Wing, was that a Billy Madison quote?
2. Are we going to get on the wall of fame for completing, and t-shirts too? I hope so, this is turning out to be a really cool adventure.
3 Wing, do you want me to (can I) wear a UEPa shirt for the photo op's? I am a medium, is there such a thing as a medium UEPa T-shirt?

11:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can fans get shirts?

12:25 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

so totally wish I could be there. The two lbs burger is the one I would have contested the last time we tried to make it up there.

Doing the Poconos this weekend, so I'll be competing in beercans instead....

2:51 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

No problem Billy. The contest will probably run on the long side, but I'll try to get some clips. Definitely tons of pics. I'll be taking breaks from eating just to take pics...I'm a geek like that. I guess that explains why I lose so many contests.

Carey - YEah, we get on the wall if we finish the burger. As for the t-shirts, we don't have any yet but we damn should!

But when we do get shirts, we'll definitely makes some extras for fans like you Liz!

7:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'll run a mile for every 2000 calories you eat :P

8:41 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Wow, you know, an organization cannot be taken seriously until it has T-shirts. We are going to have to just marker up a Hanes cotton-T ala Hickman. Does the UEPa at least have a slogan? A mission statement? A mascot?

9:12 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Carey.... all will be discussed and decided upon @ Denny's. Be there or be square!

11:33 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo! 2 or 3lb'er? Hmmm, this is going to be a little bit harder than people think. Mark mentioned bringing the scale so with everything it's more like 4-6lbs. Just for record stats, we all need to complete this thing despite time because of the whole 'name-on-the-wall' thing. Would someone get Kuhns to come this time!?!

12:48 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I wonder what the variance in final weight is with these burgers.
so, it would be great, if we all agree, since I am the most amateur of the group, after weighing in the burgers, that I get the lightest one.

2:51 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Just for that, you'll get the heaviest one pussy!. Just kidding. Normally I'd say "Welcome to competitive eating!" and tell you that the weight of the food varies and you sort of have to take your chances, but I'm all for equality and fairness at the table so I'll bring an 8-pound kitchen scale that we can use to weigh the burgers.

As long as they're all within an ounce or two, I think we can call it even. If any are outside that range, we can make pre-contest adjustments as needed. It's only fair.

5:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I MAKE QUALITY SHIRTS UEPA

WHO DO YOU THINK MAKES AICE'S SHIRTS

BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO SACRIFICE MY TIME TO MAKE SOME

TOTAL COST WILL BE FOR JUST THE SHIRTS AND INK

A BARGAIN

VAC

5:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fear not New Jersians, there are currently secret plans being conducted in a submarine off the Hudson River-Palisades, where Clinton Station Diner Desperado's will be planning the next unveiling of the World's Largest Menu Item Burger..We promise that this one will be unmatched for the next 100 years!!!!

hahahahah..We will rule again

NJ Burger Assasin

10:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home