"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, August 07, 2008

HAMBURGER EATING CONTEST DETAILS

I just received an e-mail from the organizer of the Taste of Hamburg-er Festival about the hamburger eating contest. Here are the details:

DATE/TIME: Saturday, August 30 at 1:30 pm
LOCATION: Hamburg, PA
LENGTH: 8 minutes
PRIZE: Up to $250, plus a medal to the winner (first, second and third place breakdown of $250 to be determined)
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Monday, August 18 at 5 pm. I've got the sign up form. E-mail me at shoffner1974@yahoo.com and I'll email it to you and you can fax it to the contest organizer.

The prize money is flexible. Our contact pushed hard to raise the prize budget from the $50 offered last year, and the board came up with the following proposal: "We will apply $50 to each "professional" contestant that shows up, up to a total of $250.00. In other words, if two professionals show, the prize would be $100. If three show up, the prize would be $150. If five or more show up, the prize would be $250."

The contest is limited to 10 contestants, so sign up sooner rather than later!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would be the definition of a "professional"? I don't call myself one, would I count? Would you or Carey count?

Winner take all?!?

Gjoe

8:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GJoe = Hamburglar!

11:36 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I'm pretty sure a "professional," for the sake of this contest, is anyone with any real competitive eating experience. That said, you'd definitely qualify, Joe. So would Ian, Carey, Jill and myself. That's five pros right there...if Carey can make it.

Winner will take most of the $250 purse. I suggested $175 for first, $50 for second and $25 for third. You gonna make it to the contest, Joe?

1:56 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Gas/purse ratio is very low on this one. Plus it is 4 hours away from him. I don't expect Joe there. On a brighter note, it looks like I might be back by then.

3:14 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Good point, CP...and good to hear you'll be making it to this one. Without Joe, we'll only have four pros. We need one more to up the purse.

Carey and Jill...email me this weekend to get the sign-up sheet.

4:18 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suck at hamburgers -- and they are my least favorite foodstuff to eat -- but I may try to make it out there. I'll have to see. I really hate eating meat...but I do want to "support the team".

8:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carey would be correct. W/gas tolls & time, i'm highly doubtful.

I'll be w/you in spirit.

Happy eating,

Gjoe

9:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS IS DONMOSESLERMAN. I AM THE GRATEST EATR ON THE FASE OF THE IRTH . GIVE ME CRDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE. I BILONG ON THE HIZTORY CHANEL AND THATS FOUR THE RECORD!

9:03 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Don needs to step up and enter the contest.

12:23 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure you can't claim to be a professional for this contest, and then assume you're an amateur for the whoopie pie competition. Number fudger.

1:49 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I see your point, Froggle, but it's fuzzy math and even fuzzier logic. By local contest standards we're "pro eaters" because we've competed against professionals and some of us have won a gift certificate or two. But by professional circuit standards, we're still amateurs...at least I am!

12:13 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I see your point, Froggle, but it's fuzzy math and even fuzzier logic. By local contest standards we're "pro eaters" because we've competed against professionals and some of us have won a gift certificate or two. But by professional circuit standards, we're still amateurs...at least I am!

12:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home