"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

STEAKS THIS WEEKEND: "EAT IT AND IT'S FREE" SAYS GREGORY'S

The reservation has been set for Gregory's Steakhouse. We're on for this Saturday at 3 pm. I know of about seven people who have told me they're coming, but I made the reservation for 10 people just to be safe.

I spoke with the nice woman who answered the phone and explained our intentions (devouring giant steaks). She said Gregory's DOES have an eat-it-all-and-it's-free offer on the 120 ounce steak. That's good news for my wallet, because now I won't have to pay for Hickman's meal if he finishes the beast.

She said there's no time limit (that she knows of) and if you conquer the steak, you not only get a free meal, you also get your picture on the wall. According to the woman, many people have eaten it, including an 8-year-old (some kid back in 1992 named Joseph Chestnut). She wasn't aware of any speed records, but I'm thinking anything under an hour would be an admirable performance. Now that I know it's free if you eat it, I might actually give it a shot. I mean, if a third-grader can do it, how hard can it be?

7 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

right, turd, stop making up stories! :) Who is on the list of attendees thus far?

3:12 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

She really did say an 8-year-old ate the 120-ouncer, but his name wasn't Joseph Chestnut.

Eaters include Hickman, Sweet Jill, Wild Bill and Paul Sakelarides. Lots of friends and family too. Should be a blast.

3:33 PM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Color me surprised - that it's free if you manage to eat it. Whole meal, or just the steak?

4:39 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

I'm in, too. OK I'll be eating here, but still.

5:42 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Good question Bill. Not sure, but an 8 year old did it. That almost makes me nervous about attempting it, because what if I don't finish it? I got beat by an EIGHT YEAR OLD.

Skinnyboy, you've got so many restaurant challenges out there. One of these weekends, I'm going to fly out to Denver for a few days and each day we'll do a different challenge.

7:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will be good to meet both Bill and Paul. Additions are always welcome. Yet, I still intend on seeing the likes of the Savage, Steakbellie and Gooey. AND what about Pete Miernicki?!?

Hell, we are just going to eat a steak and do a little bullshittin'! Just putting it out there.

My plan is to knock this bitch off my bucket list. I just hope it's juicy enough to wear aids aren't needed. IE A-1, 57 sauce, ranch, ketchup...

3:19 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Ranch!

8:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home