"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, July 14, 2008

MEETING MINUTES: THE UEPa AT GREGORY'S STEAKHOUSE

Somehow, only 48 hours after attempting to eat the largest steak I've ever seen in my entire life, I'm actually hungry for a steak. The UEPa met at Gregory's Steakhouse in Allentown this weekend. One of us was successful in our attempt to consume Gregory's 120-ounce (7.5 pound) steak, but all of us had fun. I'll let the pics tell the tale.

STEAK - Waiter with two steaks
Our waiter brought out our steaks two at a time. The sizzling platters were audible before he even entered the room. Sweet Jill Stoler, Ian Hickman and I each ordered the 120-ouncer, which came with a choice of potato side (a heaping plate of house potatoes, mashed potatoes, or fries) and a heaping plate of steamed broccoli. Wild Bill and family also ordered a 120 ouncer, but wisely decided to split it amongst the three of them. Shanna's steak, a 24-ounce ribeye, looked like a pork chop compared to our feasts.

STEAK - Me with steak
Me, moments before digging in. We eached ordered one topping on our steaks. I ordered mushrooms, Jill went with onions and Ian opted for garlic butter. I would eat about four pounds of my steak in about an hour. Jill did about the same, including making a nice dent in her mashed potatoes (I should take this time to remind everyone that Jill is a strict vegetarian).

STEAK - Meat coma
Somewhere around the 45 minute mark, I lapsed into a meat coma. The steak, while totalling 120 ounces (I assume, I forgot my scale) wasn't one massive slab of meat, but two giant 60 ounce steaks stacked on top of each other. Still, considering how taste and size of food items are inversely proportional, the steaks were pretty good.

STEAK - Last bite
The last bite for Ian "The Invader" Hickman. Before he started, we learned that if you finish the steak and sides, the meal is NOT free. That was the policy under old management, but our waiter was nice enough to pull some strings and get 10 percent knocked off of our $340 bill. Faced with this new lack of incentive, I made a deal with Ian: If he finished the steak in an hour, I'll pay for half of his $64 tab. If he finishes the steak AND sides in two hours, I'll pay for everything. He finished his 120-ounce steak in 58 minutes and 47 seconds and got his picture on the wall along side this kid.

STEAK - Tater Mountain
Upon finishing the steak, Ian opted to build sculptures out of his garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli.

STEAK - UEPa meets for ice cream
After we left Gregory's, we grabbed some ice cream at Ice Cream World (a triple scoop of Death by Chocolate for me). A full set of pics can be seen here. Also don't forget to check out Jill's write-up about the contest and the video's linked at the bottom of her entry. Next up for the UEPa: The North Philly Cheesesteak Tour (sometime in September).

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure that steak was better quality than the shit they served at J&R steakhouse. Nasty Nate finished the 5lb job and i had the runs from a 24oz marinated steak with creamed spinach and chill cheese fries ? Go figure. Good job by Ian and the rest of you guys. Wish i lived out in PA seems like you guys have alot of fun

9:59 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

ENOUGH OF EVERYONE HAVING FUN BUT ME.

I'm coming to the next meet up.

I'm so freaking impressed with HIckmans performance!

10:52 AM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

You should have come to this one, Eric.

11:58 AM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

And Brian, I'm sure it woudln't be a problem if you wanted to show up as well. We seem to have little regard for state boundaries.

12:30 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Wild Bill's right. I mean, your name is STEAKBELLIE and it's a giant STEAK challenge. It's a no-brainer. You have to make it out to our North Philly Cheesesteak Tour in September.

And BB, you're always welcome at a UEPa meeting. It'd be an honor to have an old school legend like you to tell a few tales and teach some us some tips.

2:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Steakbellie! You should come! I need to get an interview with you on my FLIP camera! Plus, I've still never met you in-person. You should join the group!

BB: I've been in attendance of -- and a participant in -- both the last two (2) UEPa meetings, and you know where I live: Brooklyn, baby! :o)

8:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kudos gentlemen, however it is hardly deserved. I should have killed that steak 15 minutes faster. Next time I won't unintentionally babysit the last 6 ounces. BUT I digress.

I had a great time talking with Bill and co, Mega and the Ms. and Jill, of course. Great bunch of folks. I'm glad to see that the 'meetings' have both eaters and non-eaters alike show up. Good food, good camaraderie, good times. I'm already looking forward to the next one.

Just make sure it is not the weekend of the 20th. I have to make it to whoopie pies (who's with me?) that day and will not be able to enjoy the awesomeness that is the Philly cheese steak if eaten afterwards.

10:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree steakbellie needs to take part in a steak challenge to live up to his nickname. I might take you up on your offer next time around Dave. Should be interesting

9:29 AM

 
Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

After we left Gregory's, we grabbed some ice cream at Ice Cream World (a triple scoop of Death by Chocolate for me).

July is National Ice Cream Month, you know....

2:24 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Holy crap!

5:29 PM

 
Blogger SupersizedMeals.com said...

Wow nice work fellas! Props to Ian, that's one big (albeit messy) steak you finished off there!

I'm gonna have to go on one of these field trips with you guys. They look awesome :D

PS - the story is up on SupersizedMeals.com!

7:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home