"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, July 21, 2008

A-ROD NEEDS A NEW PRIVATE JET

This past weekend I payed my first and last visit to Yankee Stadium before they tear down the place at the end of the season. Historically speaking, it's a great ballpark. Beyond that, it is what it is -- an 85-year-old building outdone by scores of newer stadium throughout the majors.

Like most parks, lunch will cost you a fortune. I should know this by now, but here's a lesson for you: Never go to the ballpark hungry. Three Nathan's dogs and a 16-ounce Bud Light ran me $23.50 (yeah, the beers are $8.50 each). Whenever I take out a loan to buy stadium food, I try not to do the grocery store equivalency math in my head, but I always do. It's usually followed by a devious yet somehow flawed plan to smuggle hot dogs into the next baseball game I attend.

Below is a shot of some Yankees cookies for sale in the stadium. I don't know how much they cost. Probably way more than a dry, bland sugar cookie should.

Yankee cookies

More pics from my trip to the Bronx can be seen here.

3 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

happy birthday MM!

11:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The misconception surrounding Yankee stadium is the fact that the stadium they are tearing down is not the original yankee stadium. When they renovated the old one in 1976 it lost alot of the glamor and reality of the house that ruth built in 1923. Don't get me wrong this is still considered the old yankee stadium because it never left its original location ,but when you give someone a face lift it's just not the original. The used to call the renovated stadium Yankee stadium 2 . I was lucky enough to go to the old stadium as a little kid in the late 60's and very early 70's before they renovated it. They were pressured by the city to get the facelift in 1976 because of limited parking and obstructed views from grandstand seats The pre 1976 stadium was a left handed hitters dream. Right field porch was 296 ft. Dead center was 500 ft which was moved in considerably after the face lift. I think Mantle was the only Yankee player to hit one over the center field wall. Hot dogs were $1 Beer was 75cents Soda was 50 cents. Grandstand seats were 75 cents. Sorry for the ramble. Just wanted to share some history. Glad you got a chance to see Yankee stadium even though it wasnt the original original. Aside from a few minor touchups fenway and wrigley are the last of the old school turn of the century ballparks. Before i leave this earth i hope to visit both if they dont leave the earth before i do.

8:32 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks SB.

BB, I thought about the 70s renovations while I was at the game and thought about what the stadium was like prior to the facelift. 296 feet to right field? Even I could hit one out with those dimensions! You should definitely see Fenway. I did awhile back, but hope to get back soon. I've only seen Wrigley from the outside though.

8:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home