"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, July 03, 2008

CONEY ISLAND CRAZINESS

It's hard to say what Takeru Kobayashi is capable of doing tomorrow on Coney Island (noon on ESPN and again at 1pm). He hasn't really competed since last July 4th. Forget the sad spectacle that was his nationally televised, injury-plagued MLE Chowdown. It's safe to assume he's healthy again, emotionally and physically, and, with his new ketchup and mustard colored hair, he's hungrier than ever to take back the belt that he wore for the better part of the new millenium.

In tomorrow's shorter 10-minute contest, I see Koby edging Joey Chestnut by a full three hot dogs. 59 to 56. And then, with his legacy intact, the seven-time champion will finally retire.

By the way, there's a hot dog eating game on the ESPN website. It's addictive and fun. Drag and drop hot dogs into the stereotypically slobbish eater's mouth. The faster dogs are worth more points. I downed 90 HDBs. Beat that, Joey Chestnut!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

asshole OJ rifkin wont post my comments so im feeding some to you Dave. Cheating was excessive at Coney. I got inside info from several eaters that the judge's did not do their job . hot dog debris was everywhere to be found. Fruit punch from one eater being sprayed in another eaters cup. Glad i stayed home and waited for the phone calls. Much easier that way

11:48 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Feel free to vent here anytime Brian. The mayhem at Coney doesn't surprise me. I wonder if any judge said anything to any eaters about infractions or warnings during the contest. I doubt it. I also wonder what sort of pre contest training or prep the judges receive. My guess is, not much.

4:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home