"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

THE SUMMER OF GLUTTONY: CEREAL

The Rice Krispies were flying last night in the conference room, but when the dust had settled and the milk had dried, I emerged as the winner of our office cereal eating contest. It was the first showdown in our Summer of Gluttony eating series.

My cereal of choice was Raisin Bran and I finished my one pound plus one quart of milk in 6 minutes and 13 seconds. Beau (Red Berries Special K) pushed me hard throughout the contest (as he usually does) and finished right behind me with a time of 7:15. Our rookie eater, Mary, chose Life and drank the last of her milk at the 16:10 mark. She likely would have finished sooner, had Jeremy not been making retching sounds during the last two minutes of her attempt. John went with Rice Krispies – a decision that proved to be his downfall (his puffed Krispies filled two giant bowls, each the size of the vessels Beau and I used to hold our grub) – and tossed in the towel after he downed his first bowl.

CEREAL 004

Here’s a shot of the four of us just prior to digging in. A full set of pics can be seen here. As for the next Summer of Gluttony contest, it’s the “Six Pack Challenge” – six McDonalds double cheeseburgers and a six pack of beer on June 6.

To set the mood during the contest, we played this video on the conference room TV. Thirty kick ass minutes of 80’s cartoon intros. I got a little distracted by Inspector Gadget, but finished in time to catch Heathcliff.

9 Comments:

Blogger A-Bomb said...

1 down - do it, Dave

11:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah priceless. Mega served up "two scoops of whoop ass." Nice work champ. BUT for some reason, I keep thinking that Cap'n CRUNCH would just be the easiest shit to inhale. Not the CRUNCH-berry kind but the straight up PB version. Just scoop, swallow, scoop, swallow. Perfect rhythm and consistency. Just keep in mind your poo would probably look pretty different. Poo Braile....THINK ABOUT IT!

3:15 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I don't know about Cap'n Crunch. We were talking about that before the contest and we all thought it would pretty much turn the roof of your mouth into a shredded, bloody wasteland. That's assuming you're chewing it.

I can't wait for the 6 beers/6 burgers challenge. I'm going to have some fun practicing for that one.

3:20 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Congrats Dave. Took down the champ. Beau, I am a bit disappointed.

yeah, the Cap'n takes a good half an hour to loose it's crunch in milk. They genetically engineer it that way.

Man, imagine a pound of CC going through your system.

3:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where the hell were the Smurfs?

Seriously!

3:50 PM

 
Blogger la beauheme said...

Yeah, I was having a rough day mentally. In retrospect I would dial down the milk and dial up the drinking from the side of the bowl. That slowed me down.

I could take him in a rematch.

4:38 PM

 
Blogger angie said...

MM-
There's a burger challenge at a place called B&D Burgers on Broughton Street in Savannah. A 4 pound burger in 20 minutes and it's FREE!


Ok, ok — I just want some visitors... so bring eating buddies! :)

12:46 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Rematch?! The only rematch you'll get is burgers & beers in June.

As for the Savannah burger, that would be awesome. Does it come with a side of grits?

8:05 AM

 
Anonymous Tyson said...

Veery nice blog you have here

1:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home