"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

WING BOWL SHOPPING LIST

Some of you may have noticed the countdown under my mug shot on the right. It displays the time until midnight on Friday, February 1, 2008, seven hours before Wing Bowl (and roughly 6 hours before we're in the Wachovia Center). Technically, the first beer will be swigged and the grill will be fired up by 10pm on Thursday, January 31, but the countdown timer didn't let me input specific times.

Carey expressed concern in a comment on the previous post (in between tearing his house apart looking for that McDonald's training video) about whether or not we're ready to go. The good thing about Wing Bowl is, it doesn't require a lot of planning -- but it does require a little. Here's a rundown of what I think we'll need:

  • U(EPa)-Haul - This is our cave. We'll call ahead a few days before to reserve a small to medium sized vehicle (anyone remember what size we got last year?) and arrange to pick it up sometime on Thursday.

  • Stripper pole - Seriously, we need to figure out how to mount it to the U-Haul. It doesn't do any good propped up against the truck. I'm really hoping we don't have to drill into the side of the truck (but I'll do it if I have to).

  • Beer - And lots of it. The good thing is, with temperatures hovering around 20 degrees, we don't need a cooler!

  • Snacks - I still remember our late night shopping spree from last year. Chips, hot dogs, buns, more chips. We're not picky. Maybe this year we'll get some wings too.

  • Grill - Any cheap charcoal grill will do. Under $20 is fine, because this this will probably be thrown out the next day. We'll also need charcoal and lighter fluid.

  • Chairs - I think I still have my inflatable chair from last year. I have some pimpin' camping chairs too, but I'd have to haul them on the train. No biggie.

  • Other crap - This includes paper towels, trash bags, cigars, cameras, beads, and any other personal effects.

WINGBOWL 15 037

In this picture from last year's festivities (that guy was really happy that we let him use our grill), we see most of what we'll need. Except for the Coors Light. Seriously, who bought that?

25 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

I got the Coor's Light for Krista, because she didn't want to drink Jack Daniels.

I also have some camping chairs with cup holder arms built in. Plus one inflatable that survived last year.

Does the portable stripper pole extend by twisting it (no comments please) because if it is that type we shouldn't have a problem mounting it. (again, no comments perverts)

Are we going to do the buffet again? I haven't been there in ages.

7:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot one thing on your list: A stripper!! What's the point of a stripper pole without a stripper? An where the hell is Pete with those head shots (no pun intended) and prices of his "girls who need tuition"?

Pete, e-mail me pics and prices -- ASAP! If you screw this up, so help me, I'll kick you in the balls.

8:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah the more you twist the bigger it gets. And I know we have two grills.
I'll get back to you about the other stuff, I've been busy.

8:25 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, we should do some sort of pre-Wing Bowl buffet again. That was fun. And it's a good idea to get some food in your stomach before so much drinking (seriously).

Pete, something tells me Jill really will kick you in the balls.

10:05 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

you may want to consider coming to the 'weigh-in' It's held at Chickie & Pete's at about 5pm the night before. All of the Eaters must come to it (the 5 pros didnt have to last year)

It's within walking distance of the Wachovia Parking Lot and there are always alot of strippers there.

You GOTTA try the crab fries.

11:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steakbellie and all other wing bowl contestants, make sure to eat up and drink up at the weigh in. I'm paying!!

7:55 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I was there Monday night, and after seeing it on the menu forever and passing it up, I finally ordered the Magooby. I wasn't impressed by it. It was like a cold shrimp salad sandwich, and they put the fries on it after cutting it in half so you have to break it in half again, and it makes a big mess. The fries are great, just don't call it Old Bay, they get annoyed at that.

10:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We also need 120 napkins.

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Geez, are you paying attention to what is being debated over on EatFeats? We should kick off the drinking at the tailgater with holding our beers up high and singing "Anchors Aweigh" then we should drink to the break of day.

2:39 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

Hmmm, what if I have to go to Philadelphia at the end of January...

3:54 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

OMG, that's where I got those napkins from. I just used the last couple a week ago. We definitely need another 120.

5:17 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

At least 120. And Liz, if you're not in Philly on January 31, you'll be missing something EPIC. We'll save a blow up chair in the U-Haul for you and J.

9:28 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

The portable stripper poles I've seen are spring loaded or something like that. No drilling is required so it should be good. Try Lil Mynx (I interviewed the owner a few years ago for a magazine article) or just do a Google search.

6:35 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Of course!! Spring loaded, like a shower curtain rod or those shelving systems you put in the corner of your shower. Dan, you're one brilliant sonofabitch.

7:59 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

a spring loaded pole wouldn't work. Once you hang from it the weight would compress it enough to fall. Lil Mynx claims that they have always used a bolt in mount.

8:03 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Aaaand we're back where we started.

8:13 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Does anyone actually think the stripper pole would be used? Who is going to use it, and who is going to remove enough clothing to make it interesting enough to watch? It will be freakin cold out there, man! Plus, the drunk girl who climbs up it and cracks her head open when she falls is really going to damper the mood a bit.

11:17 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Cue Price is Right loser music:

http://www.qwizx.com/gssfx/usa/tpirhorns.wav

2:25 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

Carey,
You are the Captain of the Fun-Police.

4:31 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Steak, I will buy the thing myself if you agree to wear a G string and do a 30 minute performance to get the party started.

5:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carey:

I don't post on here for ONE DAY (or maybe two, I forget), and you forget me? I'm hurt.

First of all, I already said I'm paying for a stripper. At least one. Maybe more. I'll have to see how much she costs (still waiting for those prices and pics, Pete).

Second, you haven't seen me drunk. I'm fun, flirtatious, and I'll take my top off even in sub-freezing weather. Trust me, it will be interesting. If you don't think so, you're not drunk enough!

9:55 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Okay, that mental image of Steak has convinced me that we probably SHOULDN'T get a pole.

JILL - I think you're overestimating the Mardi Gras-like atmosphere of Wing Bowl. The flashing might be the most talked about aspect of the event, but entirely over-hyped in my opinion. 99 percent of the boobage at WB occurs inside the Wachovia Center and 99 percent of that is from the same five women. Is that good or bad? Who knows.

11:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're killing my fun already, Dave. Preople in PA don't know how to have fun like we NYers do.

Ok, fine, I'll behave myself. I'll keep ALL my clothes on and I won't drink any alcohol to ensure my modesty.

I'll still contribute something. If we can't get a stripper out there (too cold, in public) I'll bring something else. Just let me know.

11:17 PM

 
Blogger la beauheme said...

I'm thinking it was a 10 foot truck. From the sound of it though, we might need to get the 14 or 17er. I got the blowup chairs/couch at Dick's. We'll need a table and this year I'm packing a pillow for the 'indoor portion' of the event, or maybe I'll find some inside.

5:50 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Are there any trucks that have a lower floor than what we had? If so, it would make climbing up a little easier, unless we get a step stool instead, then we can get a higher floor that works better as a table. Also, my mom has these tents that she uses for outside craft shows. I'll hit her up for one, in case it rains.

12:34 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home