"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, July 26, 2007

BRAIN FREEZE

A co-worker and fellow competitive eater just told me about an ice cream eating contest happening this Saturday in Manheim (about 45 minutes east of Harrisburg). Unfortunately, I'm going to be out of the area and can't participate.

It's at Kreider Dairy Market at 5:30 p.m. That's about all I know. Not sure about pre-registration or anything. I do know the first to finish half a gallon of ice cream gets $300. Or there's $300 in prizes. Either way, first place is getting a decent prize of at least $200 or so. Hopefully someone (Carey) can throw down on this and take home some money for the UEPa.

(By the way, did you know the term "brain freeze" is trademarked by 7-11?)

12 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

I never tried speed eating ice cream. I still have my tonsils, and they hurt like a mutha when I eat ice cream too fast.

3:21 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

*cough*pussy*cough*

5:36 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

somehow, not as discreet when you type it in, Dave. Shall I say the same to you, the guy who is afraid to post the local events that he is going to compete in?

8:26 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

Cold Food is it's own disipline. Some people are physically effected more.

10:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if tonsils would have that much of an effect on the outcome. I can tell you that if I wasn't doing the custard sundae contest tomorrow you'd better believe I'd be up there for straight up ice cream. Hell, you even get a prize! That's just the "ice cream" on the cake....I couldn't resist.

10:26 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, after I typed it I realized it didn't have the same effect. Agree with Steak though, hard to say what can happen in cold foods. Pros getting beaten by amateurs...anything goes.

Beau might be doing this one. We'll see. There's a place about 45 minutes from here that represents the halfway point of the Appalachian Trail. When hikers come through there after three months of hiking, it's tradition for them to attempt the "half gallon challege" and the nearby camp store. Beau and I might try that some day soon. He did the trail back in '99 but didn't complete his half gallon. It's been nagging him ever since.

12:41 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Ian, when I get shakes and slushies, my tonsils hurt before I even have a chance to get a brain freeze. One of my adenoids is enlarged, and they won't remove them because they say it doesn't hurt anything. Doctors don't look at competitive eating as a plausible reason for surgery.

1:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carey, go to IFOCE. I think they might have a proper intro for you.

5:08 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

what do you mean, Pete?

11:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the overused intros is that the person was born with abnormally large adenoids and removed them to do better in CE.

5:38 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

oh, but in my case, I didn't remove them. Do you think it would help?

11:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'd sound cool if anything.

11:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home