"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

UPCOMING PA AREA EATING CONTESTS

I was putting Google through its paces and was able to dig up a whole slew of local eating contests coming up during the remainder of the year. I love small town contests. The intimate crowds. The feeling of "invading" someone else's turf. The plucked-from-the-crowd competitors. The chance of winning.

In the interesting of sharing the competitive fire (and hoping others will do the same), here's the contests I found and hope to make it to this year.

Supposedly there's an annual pancake eating contest at Pete's Grill in Baltimore. According to this article it's something of a mid-November tradition. Pay to enter, big prize to the winner, but I can't seem to find any details about it in 2007. I'm also going to lean on our local hot dog joint to sponsor another hot dog eating contest (which my brother won last year) and our local wing joint to do another wing contest (which I won last year).

In the interest of sharing, if anyone knows of any other eating contests in the northern Maryland and Pennsylvania area, let me know. A tiny part of me considered hoarding the information about these contests for myself. Less competition means a better chance of winning, you know. But then I thought (and this may sound cheesy) that I'd rather lose to friends than win against a bunch of strangers. As for winning against friends? That's even better.

UPDATE: Thanks to Ian for passing these contests along:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sure... give away my secrets.

TUT

4:44 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Did I reveal one of the contests you were saving for yourself? Was it your pasta contest? Lemme tell you...I can PUT AWAY some fettucine alfredo. It's on, bro.

7:45 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Rock on, ojrifkin jr. Doh, I mean Dave. If that's REALLY your name..

9:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually... the Baltimore contest is one plate of Spaghetti...(cook the entire 1lb box pre-cooked) not any of those skinny faggy noodles. Just straight up spaghetti... with a mound of thick red meat sauce.
No hand eating.
You MUST use the utensils. Fork/Knive/Spoon.
You may use paremesan if so desired.

7:23 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

You like that thick red meat, don't you? But you'd probably prefer to use your hands.

12:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allegheny Co. is Pittsburgh, so I'll see if I can figure this one out for us all.

TUT

3:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home