"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

WING BOWL, YOU COMPLETE ME

Thirty-six hours till Wing Bowl and I have to say I'm feeling pretty excited, but also a little nervous about what sort of unexpected debauchery and obstacles lie ahead. Actually the debauchery part is mostly exciting. The obstacles -- like arctic temperatures, overnight rain and snow showers, and a drunken mob scene -- make me nervous. But in an excited sort of way.

We've been kicking around some emails and I think we're going to try to rent a U-Haul box truck like the one pictured above ($19.99 a day) and turn it into our own semi-heated tailgating Wing Bowl party wagon. We're going to try to swing by a Salvation Army or Goodwill and pick up an old couch to throw in the back. Gotta be comfortable, you know. If they don't have one, I'm sure we can just drive around Philly for a few minutes and find one that's been "discarded." After 6 or 7 beers, the funny smell and sticky cushions will be barely noticable.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a sofa on my porch if you can't find one I think we can lend.

11:56 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

No, no, no...I'm not driving through West Philly just to pick up your beer stained couch. Fuhgeddaboutit.

7:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun, brother.

And as I told Steakbellie, please bring the story of wingbowl 15 to Denny's on the 24th.

We've all gotta make a push for a IFOCE vs AICE showdown for WingBowl 16.
I really think we're gathering the talent to do it. By next February, watch out!

8:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have a white sheet that you can write on to complete the U-Haul's look. Also, careful you don't kill anyone in the back of the truck with exhaust (or maybe you meant the couch-sitting for when the U-Haul was stopped and the back open).

Have fun!

3:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's more than too late for advice at this point, but don't pick up an old couch. I had a rooommate in college that saw a disgarded mattress that appeared to be in good shape and brought it inside.

Let's just say that it had a smell I will never forget, no matter how much I drink.

2:06 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

We're back and it was unforgettable. The U-Haul worked out perfectly. I got lots of pics and video clips (some not appropriate for most audiences) and I'll post a little of both in a post tomorrow.

8:27 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Wish I'd known about your tailgating, we would've come up earlier and said hi. We left around 4:30 and got there around 6:00. First thing we saw as we stepped out of our car was a guy taking a whiz in the parking lot saying, "You don't want to come this way guys." How true.

We had seats in section 110 which were on the corner near where the competitors stopped as they came through. We were in between the dueling strippers who kept taking their tops off and eventually upped the ante to some pants dropping, ass showing tactics.

We ended up over at Chickie & Pete's on 16th and Packer where the drinking and eating continued for several more hours. After that it was back to Baltimore for a literary group happy hour and the worst meatloaf I've ever been served (more on that over at THG).

I collapsed in a heap around 9:30 and slept for 12 hours. My wife was a little short with me this morning and I eventually found out that I'd kept her up a good portion of the night thanks to my Guinness and rum-fueled snoring. I said that she should've sent me over to the guest room to sleep and she said, "I couldn't wake you up! How was I supposed to kick you out of bed?!"

My buddies that went with me had never been to a WB before and they're now convinced it needs to be an annual event. God bless Wing Bowl and the City of Brotherly Lunch... nowhere else, baby, nowhere else.

I'll be posting pix to Flickr shortly.

11:05 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics.

12:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home