"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, February 09, 2007

DENNY'S GIANT BURGER UPDATE

This week I've been exchanging emails with Denny from Denny's Beer Barrel Pub. He wants the United Eaters of Pennsylvania to come up to his restaurant in Clearfield, PA on the 24th of this month to be a part of the unveiling of his new world record largest burger ("over 115 pounds"). Right now it's going to be me, Beau, Carey and possibly one other coming up from Harrisburg. Wing Tut has said that he's clear that weekend too and Ian Hickman may join us as well. We still need to dig up 6 or so more eaters.

Denny and I were kicking around some ideas for the event. Initially he wanted about 12 of us to try to eat the giant burger, to which I suggested cutting it in half and having two teams of six compete to see which team can eat the most in one hour. After the hour, the remants (oh yes, there will be remnants) would be weighed and one team would win. I like the concept of a team competition. You don't see that a lot in competitive eating.

He liked the idea too, but has reconsidered carving up the giant burger because he'd like to keep it intact for follow-up media inquiries and photos that are likely to trickle in during the days following the ceremony. Instead he suggested something involving several one- or two-pound burgers on a platter and the UEPa gang can eat those. Maybe we'll still do the team thing. Maybe we'll turn it into an individual event. His crew is still ironing out the details. I'm just glad he doesn't want us to come up a week later to eat the seven day old burger.

10 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

Reading it now, I believe he wants to show the world how small of a dent 12 big eaters would put into the burger. I think that is a good enough challenge, to take a big bite out of it. @4th coming fast dude. I might drive instead.

12:54 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, it's probably better that we don't eat the giant burger. In my experience I've found that the bigger the food item, the worse it tastes. I'm not saying that would happen at Denny's place (all their stuff is awesome)...but you know.

Cool about driving. Just driving to Harrisburg and then carpooling with me up to Clearfield, right?

1:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get some lube, a garden hose, and a bucket. You'll get it down.

1:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put me down hoss. I'll be there with a smile on my face, a camera in my pocket and an empty stomach to boot. How could I live this close and miss the "SOON-TO-BE" World's Largest Burger?! TuT is down and possibly Lyle. Now the question is: who is bringing the scale? The two times I have been there, it's been, ahem, broken.....

4:27 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I'll bring a scale. I've got one that weighs people and a kitchen scale that goes up to 8 pounds. I'll bring both.

Sweet to hear that you'll be there Invader along with Tut and Lyle (maybe Lyle). Arnie asked me to send him an event announcement for him to put on the website and I'll be sending that tonight, so look for that soon.

PHILLY GUY - Why don't you take the train into Harrisburg that day and I'll give you a ride up to Denny's? It's only $46 round trip from PHI to HBG. $46 to be a part of giant food history...that's a small price to pay.

12:06 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Count me in...I need a good stretch

11:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Munch I am in.....wasn't sure of my schedule until now. Hickman clued me in and if the weather cooperates I will be there. Might as well try the big one since I am driving all that way lol

human vacuum

1:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have the perfect scale

digitally certified and compact so it travels well

vac

1:03 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Sounds good Vac. Good to have you onboard.

Just so everyone knows, we will NOT be eating the giant burger. Denny said he wants to preserve it for a few days for photos. We'll be eating some of Denny's one, two or three pounders. Still, it'll be nice to be part of giant burger history.

6:59 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

As of yet, the Denny's site still has us trying to eat the monstrosity. Hey dave, you gonna try your hand again at getting a t-shirt? BTW, which burger did that girl eat? Details were pretty vague on the website.

8:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home