"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, December 15, 2006

ANOTHER WEEK, ANOTHER CHALLENGE

We're trying to figure out the next workplace-related eating contest that I can suck at. So far we've kicked around the following:

16-OUNCE PACKAGE OF FIG NEWTONS, HALF GALLON OF MILK

I like this idea because it's more speed-based, but it also involves the dreaded "milk factor." Not quite a whole gallon of milk (we all know what happens with that), but enough to turn the end of the contest into a race to see who can chug the fastest.

PIZZA

Pretty simple: One large pizza, first to finish wins. I like this one because it's pizza.

CHINESE FOOD BUFFETT

This one is nice because of the low cost of entry (less than $10) and large variety of food. For this one, we'd gather at a local buffett and, with the help of a kitchen scale, race to see who can eat the most weight of food in one hour. Some interesting pre-contest food studies and strategizing could be in effect here.

As for personal challenges, I'm exploring the logistics of a 24-egg omelet. Well, the logistics are actually pretty easy (buy two dozen eggs and a bunch of other crap). The tough part will be cooking it. As for timing, I'm probably going to give it a go sometime in the middle of January. I remember when I worked at a grocery store in high school I brought home a dozen eggs and scrambled them for dinner that night. Not pretty.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dream has always been to do the slider and beer challenge. Get 30 krystals and a 30 pack of old style. Eat a burger and chug a beer. I always wondered how far even the best eaters could get. Have you thought of doing the bidding wars a la food battle club where you have a set time and have to bid on how much you can eat?

-pat the space dock bertoletti

4:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Pat's suggestion.

Oreo's at Niagara was cookies + 1 Liter of Milk. DAMN a liter is a lot.
I didn't wait until the end to do the Liter, b/c I feared DQ.
so I got it out of the way first.

4:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoops forgot to mention.

I was only a couple hours away from a lunch Arby's Melt Challenge at work, but decided against it after I thought about how un-productive the second half of my day would be.

4:41 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Damn man! I'm a lightweight, so 30 beers would WRECK me. Maybe not as much I imagine though, since the burgers would help soak up some of that alcohol. But I definitely like the idea of throwing some beer into the mix. Maybe 12 of something and a 12-pack.

Arby's...I don't know if I could've passed on that. Throw in some horsey sauce and it's on!

8:55 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

30 and 30
THATS a hell of a challenge!

i recall my best night being just a case, so i'm not sure where the outer limit is for me. Maybe if it was Coors Lite, it's possible?

I think I'd eat 15 burgers and then drink ten beers fast. Then I'd slow things down abit and alternate burger and beer as i had room.

this would have to be an longer/outdoor event so you can keep an eye on eyerybody but they can piss in the bushes....

9:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I have to leave another comment about doing the vending machine challenge. Do you just hate the idea? Or is it too pricey? If the vending machine was huge, it could be pretty expensive.

Short of that, you could always do a seasonal fruitcake challenge (ug).

30 beers? Really? At least you have a built-in after party.

10:46 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Sorry Liz! I keep forgetting about the vending machine challenge. Rest assured I have officially added it my list of personal challenges (yes, I keep an actual list).

When I think of new challenges, I try to come up with ones that will create great photos and a great story but also contain an element of strategy. The vending challenge has all of those things! Plus it's just plain fun to talk about (that's the "buzz factor"...the fourth ingredient of a successful challenge).

2:09 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Ha! I call myself a "competitive eater" but I use the term very lightly.

Joey is the greatest eater in the world (among those not named Kobayashi). But you know that, so I assume you're half-kidding when you use his super-human milk chugging skills as a benchmark for my (or anyone elses) skills.

You think it's a coincidence that his initials are JC? It's not.

8:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home