"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, December 11, 2006

I'M PRETTY SURE THE P.E.T.A. DEATH SQUAD IS AT MY FRONT DOOR RIGHT NOW

The globe trotting carnivorous blogger over at Weird Meats has a recent entry about his dog meat eating exploits in Shanghai. Yeah, dog meat. Awhile ago I created a list of all the meats I’ve consumed in my three decades as a proud animal eater. Dog wasn’t one of them. But I’d probably do it if given the chance.

To be honest, if I were ever kicking around a rain forest in South America and came upon a tribe of cannibals, I’d seriously think about sampling what’s in their fridge too—if they didn’t have me for lunch first. Besides, if you’re chillin’ with some cannibals, you probably don’t want to rock the boat too much.

But I digress. Weird Meats also has photos of the dog meat. It actually reminds of the strips of beef in get in my beef lo mein combo platter (I’m not insinuating anything, just making an observation based on appearance only). In Vietnam and some other countries, dog meat is actually somewhat expensive and eating it, according to a commenter on the Weird Meats post, is an activity reserved mainly for men. Sort of the same way eating cat is something women do. I’d assume.

Here’s a website devoted to dog meat. It’s called Delicious Dogs (Tagline: “Because, let’s face it, dogs are GOOD FOOD!”). Not that I’d know. Stupid societal taboos.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My uncle had it in Korea and he said it sucked. Very stringy

11:39 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Like beef jerky? Mmmmm...dog jerky.

7:50 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

a friend of mine lived in Korea for awhile and tried it. He also had some disturbing photos of whole cooked dogs at the market.

I know it's just a societal thing, but I just couldnt get past it unless it was a survival thing...then Larry would be in big trouble....

9:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a vegetarian, but I have to say I'm not sure I see the distinction between eating cows or goat and eating horses or dog. I mean, yes, I understand societal taboos or personally not wanting to eat something, but I don't understand the condemnation of a certain animal for food altogether (unless we're talking endangered tigers or something, but that's different).

10:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd eat a tiger...

11:34 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

Here Boy!!

4:05 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I didn't know you were a herbivore, Liz. Interesting. But I agree that meat is meat. You might be able to say that Westerners don't eat dog/horse because we're so used to them being domestic companions, but Koreans and Veitnamese also keep dogs and horses as pets.

I'd eat Tiger too, but only if I could jump out of a tree onto its back and wrestle it to its death. With the big cats, you gotta earn the meat.

5:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The animals that always got me were rabbits. They're pretty scary skinned - like something out of the Mutter Museum.

I understand that horses are popular as food in Europe. The US just passed a law to make selling horse meat illegal. In Europe they were using the tagline, "Eat an American Champion."

All this talk of eating dogs has got me thinking up alternate endings for "Old Yeller."

10:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure I had it in Brazil once. The sold them as hot dogs, and were very cheap. Then I was in a supermarket and saw Fido's picture in the frozen foods section.

3:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home