"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, August 28, 2006

Who am I to back down from a fast food challenge?

You may remember my pizza eating challenge with my co-worker Jennifer "The Pizza Princess" (Last Name Withheld for Fear of Being Googled). Well, tomorrow's her last day at the agency and we're sending her off with dinner and a night of drinks on the town.

In this case, some co-workers thought it would fun if "dinner" consisted of an eating challenge at Wendy's. The contest is simple: whoever eats all 13 items on the Wendy's dollar menu the fastest is the winner. There's talk of eliminating the two side salads and the baked potato, but as a purist, I might keep them on my plate. I'm still not sure how many people are actually participating (4 confirmed) and how many are just watching (at least 10 others).

Tonight I'll scrutinize the menu to determine the best order in which to eat the foods. When the hell do you eat the yogurt? I'm thinking first. I'm also not sure if the small drink is the only drink we get.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say try to melt the frosty with the warm food and use it later on as your drink. Untill then you can use your chilli and soda as a liquid to get food down. But I've never tried it so I'm not sure.

7:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At corned beef and cabbage, Pat used the cabbage as a way to "wash down" the meat, so maybe you can use the salads as a way to refresh your palate. I'd also mix the sour cream into the potato like crazy to try to negate some of that super starchiness. Good luck with this! Were you there when we were talking about the vending machine challenge?

8:52 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

This is the exact dilema I faced when considering trying to eat a mega-burger. Intially I figured it would be best to eat the meats first, but I bet it might be easier on your pallette to take turns eating different types of foods.

Sort of like Nathans where the bun is a welcome change from all that salt and fat flavor of the hotdog.

Please give a detailed writeup when you do it. I find it fascinating.

10:53 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks for the tips!

I agree with Philly Guy about using the chili as a "liquid." I might dip my burgers in it. This is going to be a disgusting mess, I know.

Liz - I don't remember the vending machine challenge, but now I'm curious. Some day (very soon) I'd like to create a database of various eating challenges and this sounds like a good one. Please tell me about it!

I hope to get the write up and pics posted tonight.

7:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that that discussion happened on an entirely different night. Anyway, it was a challenge given to an office intern to eat one of each item offered in a given vending machine (including gum, mints, etc. I don't remember if he actually had to EAT the gum or just chew it all at the end). The challenge ended badly in this case, but I like the idea of it and also that each time it would be different depending on the machine.

1:41 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

dang liz, that could be expensive!

2:57 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Wow, my office sucks compared to you guys. Are you hiring? I can't get anyone to go in on a challenge, everyone comes up with excuses.

2:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home