"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, August 21, 2006

Why I'd make a shitty zoo keeper

I was at a party after the wing contest a few nights ago and struck up a conversation with a vegematarian. Later I got to thinking about all the animals I’ve eaten in my 28 years and how good most of them tasted. Below is that list (also inspired by a post on Gustad’s blog, Iron Stomach). I'm sure I'm missing a few items, but it's a start.

Ant
Buffalo
Chicken
Clam
Cornish hen
Cow
Crab
Crayfish (a.k.a. crawdad)
Deer
Duck
Fish (many species)
Frog
Grasshopper
Grouse
Grub
Lamb
Lobster
Moose
Mussel
Octopus
Oyster
Pheasant
Pig
Rabbit
Rattlesnake
Shrimp
Snail
Snapping turtle
Spider
Squid
Squirrel
Turkey
Veal (but not recently)
Worm (many species)

For anyone looking to sample these meats (any many others), check out this UK website appropriately titled “Alternative Meats.” The “Safari Selection” makes me hungry. Mmmm, impala burgers!

6 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

Squirrel!
I've always wanted to try that. I've had Crocidile (an aweful lot like chicken), Aligator and Ostritch (red meat!)

surely you've had shark?

10:23 AM

 
Blogger Scooter Couple said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:31 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, squirrel is good. Good in pot pie, but a pain the ass to skin and clean, so not really worth it.

I'd love to try croc and gator and, to tell you truth, I'm not sure if I've had shark.

Pooch - Man, this is supposed to a "family blog" (not really). I've got co-workers and family (I think) that read this thing!

9:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Megamunch, this message is to inform you that blogspot.com has received two separate complaints in reference to the posting of scooter pooch. If this problem continues, your blog will be flagged and added to our list for possible suspension. Please take this into serious consideration.

12:57 PM

 
Blogger Scooter Couple said...

Here's a research thought for you Dave . . .

Many different cultures eat different types of foods -- sometimes to celebrate specific events. One such event is birth. In the very recent birthing class Lisa and I took another father-to-be informed me of a video he watched on the web of a family eating the placenta -- fried up with onions and such. According to the other father-to-be this video was of a American family.

I think it would be neat to see the odd things other cultures eat to celebrate events, such as birth.

-- Jeremy

6:37 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

In your previous post (which you deleted...I told you, you didn't have to), you recommended eating @#$ and now placenta? Man.

Actually, in a really twisted sort of way, I've always sort of wondered what human tasted like that. Do you think I could add it to my list if I ate placenta?

8:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home