"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, August 19, 2006

"Clean like this!"

Finally. In my fifth contest, I get my first title -- the Kokomo Wing Eating Champion of Harrisburg -- and my first winnings (a $25.00 gift certificate to Kokomos).

I won by a single wing. It was a roller coaster contest because two other guys finished before me, but their bones were FAR from clean and were ordered by the judges to get 'em "clean like this" (as the judges pointed to my scraps). After looking at their debris, I had to agree. On some you could barely see the bone through all the meat still left on it. Pistol Pete "Philly Guy" Miernicky also made it out for the competition and came in a very close second.

It was a tough contest too. At one point, I dropped a wing on the sidewalk and, without thinking twice, had to pick it up and continue eating. I was hoping for a collective moan from the crowd, but I didn't get it. It was also tough because after the first two guys finished, my adrenaline levels plumetted (at least for a few seconds) as I conceded defeat, only to shoot back up again when they were told their bones were way too meaty. Twice that happened, but maybe the resurgence of adrenaline when I realized I was still in it actually helped me. Sorta like a turbo boost.

A full set of pictures from the event can be seen
here.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats!!!!

I got to head home early from DC...my girlfriend decided to sign a lease on the second place we looked at...... and contemplated shooting up 81 to make it to harrisburg.
Then realized that I didn't remember the name of the place, the time, etc. of the contest.


So, I'm glad you took the title.
It's not over until the fat lady sings!!
Did that video help?

9:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job today!! That hex your family put on me for H-burg contest is strong.

12:07 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks Tut and thanks to everyone who offered tips and suggestions. I looked for that Gentleman Joe video, but couldn't find it. I'd still like to see it though. Do you have a link?

That's right Pete, the Shoffner family has a lockdown on Harrisburg eating competitions! You pushed me hard during that contest -- thanks for that.

It'll be nice to finally have something for my bib sheet that can be used during the introductions at IFOCE contests. (Even if it is just "the hot wing eating champion of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.")

1:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! No more "the Cap'n Crunch scraped the roof of his mouth RIGHT OFF!" Excellent work, big congrats!

1:47 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

I'm really really happy for you. Although it's probably the worst thing that could have happened...now you're hooked for LIFE!!!!!

awesome!

Next Stop Wing Bowl?!?!?

8:20 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks. Yes, I will be at Wing Bowl...but probably just as a spectator. I have a feeling debris foods aren't my thing.

My mother raised a good point by reminding me that growing up I always disliked any food with a bone in it, so it's funny that my first win is in wings.

8:04 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the win...That's awesome

4:48 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

Congrats Dave! Just got back from vacation in the Outer Banks where I think we set some kind of record for most shrimp, corn, tomatoes and red meat consumed in one week. Luckily, all I had to do was roll out of bed, slather on some sun screen and snooze on the beach. Then do it all over again.

7:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home