"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A little more pizza

Just remembered a few more things about the Three Brothers Pizza contest and thought I’d pass it along. After the event, Pat Bertoletti, Krista, Heather and I went down to the Three Brothers restaurant at the far end of the mall to pick up Pat's giant check which had been taken back there after the awards ceremony.

During this time, the Director of Marketing for Three Brothers (or maybe it was one of the Three Brothers themselves – they were also there) mentioned that they'd definitely like to sponsor the pizza eating competition next year and that they’d like see the contest expanded to include a series of 15 qualifying rounds to determine the participants in the main event. The thinking is that with 15 Three Brothers restaurants in the DC region, each location would host an event. That would make the Three Brothers Contest only the third IFOCE event to include a qualifying round (with Nathan’s and the Krystal Square Off).

I also have to give credit to the entire Three Brothers staff. Of all the events I’ve been to (with the possible exception of the Spot Hot Dog contest held here in Harrisburg), they were by far the proudest and most excited sponsors I’ve seen. They were so happy to be hosting an IFOCE event and it showed. The three Repole brothers – Michael, Mario, and Peter – were all smiles the entire day and so were their families. Of course, the fact that the contest was also a celebration of the restaurant’s 30th anniversary might also have something to do with it, but they were classy nonetheless.

Speaking of classy, I have to give it up for Humble Bob (even though, as his name suggests, he probably doesn’t want me to). As the 17th eater to be announced, he didn’t just go his spot at the table and bump fists with the guy next to him. No, Bob took the stage and walked the entire length of the table, shaking hands with each of the eaters and wishing them good luck before humbly kicking their asses by downing 15 slices to take third place. A true sportsman if there ever was one!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I asked him if he wanted to do it again and he was also very enthusiastic with me. I believe a lot of it had to do with the atmosphere made by the eaters.

11:09 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

Sure, I would have shook everybodies hands too, but there was only like 2 people on stage when they called me.
:)

9:54 AM

 
Blogger Gustad said...

hey very cool site. thought you might like mine... i did my first eating comp. a few months ago. heres the link to it.. http://ironcheff.blogspot.com/2006/05/my-first-competitive-eating.html

2:32 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, it helps that he's so friggin' good and he gets to take the stage almost last.

I was the first person on the stage, which is also kind of nice because the audience is so pumped up to the see the contest finally starting and they cheer a little louder than they might normally.

PHILLY GUY - You ready for wings? I'm doing a timed trial tonight of 24. You might hail from the home of the Wing Bowl, but that won't do you any good in H-Burg.

GUSTAD - Believe it or not, I wrote about your contest soon after you posted it (I think I saw it on SupersizedMeals.com).

http://megamunch.blogspot.com/2006/05/30-inch-hot-dog-grows-in-brooklyn.html

8:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be busting down the doors in H-burg. If the contest last more than a little over 2 min, even if I win I lost.

4:13 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Bring it!

Wait a second...did you say TWO MINUTES? Wow.

9:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home