"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Thursday, August 17, 2006

It's official: I'm a wing man!

Did a speed run of two dozen wings tonight in preparation for Saturday's Kokomo Wing Contest here in downtown Harrisburg. Heather said it was without a doubt the most disgusting practice run she's ever seen me do. Aside from looking like a Dawn of the Dead zombie who's just discovered the joys of devouring human entrails, I didn't think it was all that disgusting.

I also had a dozen wings for lunch on Tuesday, but not for speed. (Other than contests, I try to avoid eating for speed in public, except when at least two other people I'm with are also doing it. . .which I guess makes it a "contest.")

I'm ashamed to admit it, but it was the first time in my life I'd eaten a dozen wings. I guess I never really considered myself a "wing man." There's something about the floppy, raw-textured skin that I always found -- how do you say? -- disgusting. Blame it on one or two bad experiences with some cheap grocery store wings, I guess.

But these wings were very different. For one, they seemed cooked, but they also tasted like little pieces of heaven soaked in a garlicky, spicy barbecue sauce. Needless to say, I think I'll be eating wings more often.


Pete "Philly Guy" Miernicky will be coming to town for the contest. He also came for the Spot Dog Contest last month. In a comment on this blog he stated that his goal is two minutes and anything more than two minutes -- even if he wins -- will be considered a personal loss. After tonight's trial, I can attest that 24 wings in two minutes is friggin' blazing fast, but I think I can give him a run for his money.

8 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

that post made me really hungry....

9:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love wings!!!
and i wish i could come to that contest.
is it only two minutes?
that's so short for wings....they are mainly a technique food.
not a lot of volume, or poundage.
even in a 12 minute wing contest, it's tough to feel full.

Good Luck!

9:52 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Each competitor will get 24 wings (12 somewhat spicy "Tiger" wings and 12 honey bbq wings). First to finish wins.

But according to Pete, the contest could be over in two minutes, which blows my mind a little bit. What's a good time for downing a dozen wings? One minute? One and a half?

I hear ya about technique. I don't have one (though I've been watching some video), so that will likely be my downfall tomorrow.

10:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume you're checking out cluckbucket.com for technique advice. This sounds like such a tough competition; I'll be eager to hear what strategy you decide on.

12:06 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

If they are physically warm and medium to smaller in size, it can be done in 2 minutes. It largly depends on their definition of 'clean'.

Insist that they show you an example of a clean drumstick and blade beforehand. (I'm assuming this is not by weight)

Also what happens if someone finishes but 2 or 3 wings arent up to snuff? Do they get docked time or should they have to go back? Make sure they state that policy beforehand to the eaters to avoid a difficult judging later on.

and GOOD LUCK TO YOU TWO!!!!!!!!!

12:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first to eat x amount of wing contest are the most difficult by far.
Most of the people eating don't take it as seriously as Dave or I would and everything becomes clouded. I go for fully clean, so when my age doesn't screw me for wing bowl I don't have to worry and it really kills you in these types of contest.

12:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, if the wings haven't sat out long (like getting cold, too long) and they are cooked but not dry, a couple minutes should be good.
Check the video of GJoe on Cbs Early Show. He can clean a Girl Wing. I call 'em boys and girls.

Have a good time. I was thinking about up from DC (I'll be there this weekend) for a quick contest, but the GF says no this time.
Good Luck.

7:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applied for the contest online.

It said only ten contestants, didn't say what the prize was.

I never heard back.

Oh, well.

Good luck,

Gjoe

5:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home