"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, June 27, 2008

IT'S OFFICIAL: NEXT UEPa MEETING IS JULY 12

On Saturday, July 12 at 3 p.m., the United Eaters of Pennsylvania (UEPa) will converge on Gregory's Steakhouse in Allentown, Pennsylvania to devour some of the largest steaks in the world. Ian "The Invader" Hickman will headline the event by attempting to consume Gregory's legendary 120 ounce ribeye (noted on the menu as "steak for 4"). If he completes the feat, UEPa President Dave Shoffner will pay the $63.99 tab and never talk trash on Hickman again.

Ian, we need to agree on a suitable amount of time in which you have to finish this beast. I'll let you make the first suggestion with a comment. Suggestions from others would be helpful too. As for me, I'm going with the 72-ounce ribeye. That's four-and-a-half pounds of beef. More than enough to hold me over until dessert.

I'll make the reservation at Gregory's later next week. Who's coming?

12 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

Is this going to be dinner, or lunch? I will be in AC that day, but heading back in the afternoon. Sunday is completely open for me.

10:58 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Would Sunday be better for everyone? Doesn't matter to me.

1:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So it was written, so it shall be done." That is going to be one helluva dish. I think I am more excited at getting pictures of the biggest steak I have ever seen than I am actually trying to eat it.

NO SUNDAY! I hate doing shit on Sundays since I have work the next day. The last thing I need is to have all that still in my stomach while sitting in my office for hours on end. Perhaps a general consensus for an early dinner would be fine. Say, 5'ish? 6? Thoughts???

As for time frame, that should be up to you, Pres. but with reason, of course. I have come across steak challenges that range from one hour to three so it is your call. Please keep in mind I would like to somewhat enjoy this meal at the very least.

Thoughts?

3:14 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Saturday at four or five sounds good. Carey, does that give you enough time to get there from AC?

I was thinking somewhere between one and three hours. I'll give it some thought.

4:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a vegetarian, though. I guess this is my punishment for not posting comments on here for a while.

Still, I want to go. Can I get a ride with someone? I'll pay 1/2 the gas and tolls. Dave: you live by a train station, right? Can you get me from the train station?

7:50 PM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Jill,

Take the Bieber bus to Allentown, the Charcoal Diner stop, and have someone pick you up there - it's about 10 miles from Gregorys

10:13 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I will see about making it, but at this point it is still unclear.

8:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an idea!

Instead of 1 hour, and instead of 3 hours, how about 2 hours!

1:35 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

2 hours? But that is an even number. Has that ever been done before? What if something goes wrong? I don't know....

12:10 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Wild Bill's idea of taking the bus to Allentown sounds good, Jill. I'm sure one of us can pick you up.

Carey, what time will you be able to make it on July 12? We can meet at 3pm, 4pm, 5pm. It's still flexible.

1:23 PM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Actually, the Wescosville stop; the bus will stop twice, once in the Dorney Park parking lot, and then at the Charcoal Diner. Here's the bus schedule - it leaves from the Port Authority:

http://www.biebertours.com/Documents/busschedule.pdf

2:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks Wild Bill!

7:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home