"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, June 09, 2008

WANTED: SOME BINGE EATING/DRINKING ADVICE

Speaking of cheeseburgers, this Friday is our "Six Pack Challenge" at work. Six McDonalds double cheeseburgers and six 12-ounce beers. First to finish, wins.

It's the second event in our Summer of Gluttony series and it's one that many people are looking forward to competing in. There aren't many rules to this contest. You can eat the burgers and drink the beers in any order you'd like. The beers can be whatever brand or type you'd prefer (a few competitors have publicly annouced Miller Lite as their brew-of-choice). You can pour the beers into a pitcher if you want. The only rule we've agreed upon is that you cannot funnel or shotgun the beers.

I'll probably go with good ol' fashioned High Life as my beverage and pour the beers into three large glasses. The first two will be used to wash down the burgers and the last will be gulped at the end. Is chugging 24 ounces of beer after eating six burgers a good idea? Maybe not. Should I chug three beers FIRST and then get started on the burgers (drinking the last three beers during the eating process)? I'm open to suggestions.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd recommend that you use at least 20 ounce glasses. Just drink a lot while eating the burgers, because you wouldn't want to dunk and then just slam down the remaining probably like 1-1.5 glasses left. For chugging, Guinness always worked best for me. It's just so smooth going down and doesn't have too strong of a flavor. Red dog works too, It's uncommonly smooth as per the label.

12:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The champagne of beers, eh? That's going to be A LOT of foam in your stomach - something to take into consideration. Maybe go with Rolling Rock...if you can get past the taste, it's essentially water.

12:40 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

Good point...can you let the beer go flat? You'd have a disadvantage with taste, but a clear advantage with speed. What if you also got some 3.2 beer? Would that be cheating? Either way, I think you're right going with something watery and light. Guinness would be suicide.

2:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eat 1, drink 1, eat 1, drink 1.

with the obligatory sips during eating, there shouldn't be much left to down before starting the process over again.

3:39 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks guys...all good advice. My network of competitive eating friends who I can lean on for insight and strategies will be one of my secret weapons throughout the Summer of Gluttony.

I'm leaning toward a smoother, waterier beer (like the Rolling Rock). Flattening it is a good strategy. We'll be pouring immediately before the contest, so I'll do an agressive pour and hope that takes care of some of the carbonation. As for the 3.2 beer, I don't consider that "beer" in the manly sense of the word, but for the purposes of this contest, it qualifies!

As for Tut's one-and-one strategy, I'll test that during my four beer, four burger run-through tomorrow evening!

9:30 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

since you have to drink four beers, and not just enough to eat the burgers, I would follow the And1 approach.

4:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home