"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, October 20, 2007

WHOOPIE!

The scene was the annual Whoopie Pie Festival in Lancaster. It was a breezy, overcast day and somewhat chilly. I parked my car and 10 feet in front of me was Gooey Sean Gordon, two time amateur round shoofly pie champ and a man who had eaten 22 mini whoopie pies during last year's contest. After we chatted, I headed toward the festival. Sitting in the front row on an old backless wooden bench facing an empty stage was Ian Hickman and his brother. In 2006, Ian ate a record 36 whoppie pies in three minutes.

Ian and I talked about whoopie pies, AICE, IFOCE, strategy, movies, our next contests, and his fondness for Asian women while we killed an hour before the contest started.

WHOOPIE - Kids winning eater

It was time for the 12-years-and-under round. The kids filed up onto the stage three at a time. There was, after all, only one table. The announcer was able to keep the crowd engaged through the first few three-minute heats, but by the 12th heat (no kidding, those kids just kept lining up), the announcer and the crowd had cooled, much like the gusting wind that was blowing half full plates of mini whoopie pies off the table every so often. The winning junior was a 10-year-old from New Jersey named Kyle (above) who ate 17 pies.

Seventy minutes after the kid's round started, the "seniors round" began. Ian had discussed the details with the contest organizer: he, I and Sean Gordon would eat together and last. In all, 11 adults competed, with Ian, Sean and I being the top finishers. One guy tied with me, but I can't remember his name. If you're reading this, leave a comment!

WHOOPIE - Getting ready

Here we are getting ready. Each eater was given a choice: milk or water. Ian went with water, Sean and I chose milk. Before making my decision, I turned to Sean and asked an important question: Is it whole milk? I was, after all, concerned about extra fat and calories. Thankfully it was skim.

WHOOPIE - Three Eaters

And then it was over. I would eat 30 pies, a few more than I thought I would. Sean downed 46 to take second place and Ian put up a monster performance by downing one pie every three seconds for a total of SIXTY whoopie pies. The crowd was stunned. We were sticky. Thirty minutes later, Ian and his brother spent part of his prize by hitting the country-style buffet at the hotel restaurant which hosted the contest.

A full set of pics can be seen here. Ian's brother got a video of the winning performance (with me to his right). I'll post that as soon as they upload it to YouTube.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You almost hit Ian's number from last year. Great Job! Who was the guy in the krystal square off shirt?

11:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and that's what it's all about!

12:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then guy who tied you was named james hoke. The competition was fun and it was a pleasure meeting you guys. I hope to run into you guys at future competions!
James

7:27 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, I was pleased with my total. Near Ian's number from last year. I wonder if that means I can get 60 next year? Ha!

James - It was cool meeting you too. Hopefully we'll cross paths in some future contests.

8:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've confused the Krystal's logo with the Backyard BBQ logo. Whoops.

11:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AICE has the results up with a few notes and this link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eycpn2auF9A

And I screwed up my dates for Denny's. I think I'm making the trip on Nov 4. It's either then or Thanksgiving weekend, otherwise not till maybe Jan sometime. If you're still interested, lemme know.

11:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, did you do a search of your "blogger" yet for "table ender"? Enquiring minds want to know.

2:08 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

Derek,
Google doesnt search comments so we'll have to open them up by hand.

The earliest post with that word is by Dave on Jan1 2007. So it was sometime before then (unless it's really Dave that invented it!)

2:32 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

and those are AWESOME totals by the way. I cant wait to see the video. I'm getting more and more glad Ian's not in the IFOCE!

2:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Job Mega Munchie! Keep up the good work.
Juliet

3:50 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks Juliet! It was fun! Much different than shoofly pie (which was NOT fun).

4:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job, guys! And I LOVE the pictures! Beautiful!

9:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your'e a legend. Remind me of Bo Jackson or Dion Sanders in a different aspect. They were able to make the transition from one sport to another where you are able to compete from one eating organization to another. I hope your streak continues doing aice and ifoce events. Great job with the whoopies!

8:45 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks Brian. Although, for the record, I've never competed in an AICE event. Whoopie pies was an independent event which, of course, is very easy for me to compete in because I'm not a ranked/contracted IFOCE eater.

9:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home