"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, September 08, 2007

THE MORE THE MERRIER

It's settled. Our next workplace challenge will be pizza. After considering many different food options (including bacon, Fuddrucker's three-pound burgers, wings, Taco Bell tacos (part 2), chocolate, and Old Country Buffet), we settled on pizza because it was the most enticing to new participants, which is always a good thing.

Our contests are usually held on a Friday. Sometimes on our lunch break and sometimes at 5:30 pm in the conference room. This one will be an after work contest held in two or three weeks. The parameters are simple; first to finish one large pie with your choice of one topping, wins. Which leads me to my dilemma: Which topping do I choose? I'm leaning toward pepperoni. Not only is it my favorite, but it seems like of all potential toppings, it would be the smallest in total quantity. Or maybe I'll choose "extra sauce." Does that count?

12 Comments:

Blogger Wild Bill said...

Dave - depending on who you're getting the pizza from, go with mushrooms. If the place uses canned 'shrooms, they'll slide right down. If they're using fresh, pepperoni might be the better choice.

6:24 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

hmmm, I think pepperoni is the topping that they put the least amount on when you order, they are thin and spaced out, so that would give you the least amount of pizza to eat.

11:44 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Good idea with the 'shrooms Bill. I've tried speed eating pepperoni pizza before and depending on which kind they use, the pep can be a little overwhelming all at once. At least it was that time I tried it. Really greasy.

12:36 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

any open spots at the final table Dave?

1:52 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

I would have to second the mushroom choice. Fresh ones give off water when they cook, so you may end up with a slightly wetter pizza over all. Tomatoes would be good for the same reason. Pepperoni seems like a terrible decision...way too greasy and prone to make you feel fuller faster.

2:37 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

Pineapple would also be good for juiciness and for breaking up the saltiness.

2:38 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Oooh, pineapple. I hadn't thought of that, but it might be a good one. Of course, I'd lose man points for getting pineapple on my pizza, but I could gain them back with a quick and decisive victory.

3:25 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

When only eating one large pizza, you don't have to worry about feeling fuller. I like the grease on the pie because pepperoni pizzas seem to have a softer crust because of it. Dave, what day and time are you going to do this?

4:13 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

You're itching for a spot in this one, aren't you? The date is still up in the air. Maybe Sept 28. Maybe this Friday. Not sure yet.

To be honest, it's mainly a "work contest." I'm not trying to keep you out, I just think it might be awkward and there's really no prize. Don't worry bro...we'll throw down on pizza sometime soom. Maybe that giant one we say on South Street in Philly before our first cheesesteak tour.

4:35 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

A work contest, meaning you want to clinch it, huh? Wait, does Beau work with you?

5:39 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

You're very astute. Yes, I am the favorite and yes, Beau does work with me. He's beaten me in the past (Taco Bell tacos), but I'm on a hot streak lately, coming off wins in Chinese food and chicken nuggets.

9:33 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

here is a bit of astuteness: I just noticed the headline for this post- The more the merrier. What does that mean? I think you are trying to say that you want as many people in on this as possible.

7:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home