"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, September 10, 2007

THE 24-HOUR EATING CHALLENGE

I've been thinking a lot lately about the "next step" in eating challenges.

Among existing challenges, there's "How many X's can you eat in Y amount of time?" Sometimes Y equals one minute. Sometimes it's 12 minutes. Other times it can be 30 minutes or an hour. Then there's "How fast can you eat X amount of Z's." In this case X can be three or four items (hot dogs, for instance). Or it can 60 items (in the case of nuggets). It can also be one item (pizzas or giant burgers).

But what's the next step? What hasn't been done before? For me, I think it's something similar to the first equation, only in this instance, Y equals 24 hours. That's right, how many (fill in food items here) can you eat in ONE DAY. From midnight to midnight. Start eating.

It's an interesting concept and one that raises all sorts of questions. For instance:
  • Do you try to sleep during your "eating day" or would sleeping slow down the digestive process?
  • Would a few cat naps be needed to ward off potentially appetite-suppressing exhaustion?
  • After all that constant eating, would a few cat naps be unavoidable?
  • How often would you eat?
  • Would you gorge at "mealtimes?" In this case, midnight, 6am, noon, 6pm and again right before midnight at the end?
  • Or would you eat small meals every two or three hours?
  • Or would you just sit down with all six Star Wars movies and eat CONSTANTLY?
  • If you did eat at certain times throughout the day, what would you do between meals? Nothing? Go for a walk? Drink a special concoction to speed digestion?

These are all valid questions and ones that would surely impact the outcome of this day-long binge fest. I have a few opinions on many of them, but I'm interested to hear from others. Up next: Which food do I eat?

8 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

I wonder about the health issues involved with this one. The food most definitely has to be healthy. Nothing with much salt, something countable, not something you normally weigh for the totals. Whatever it is, I am thinking this stunt would be perfect to attempt pre-wing bowl.

4:15 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, the health issue is big here. There's a chance to really screw up your body chemistry if you choose the wrong food. I was leaning toward bags of Doritos. (Actually that just popped into my head and doesn't sound half bad).

By the way, the only pre-Wing Bowl stunt I'm attempting will involve beer. (How old am I? Who cares, we're all the same age at Wing Bowl!)

4:41 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

What about bathroom issues? Can you pee? Can you take a dump? Your body can metabolize most stuff in that length of time. Depending on the food item I'd say peeing would be OK, but no poop. And no downing water to move stuff along.

5:27 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Wow, I couldn't hold it in for 24 hours even if I ate regularly. Dave, when else are you going to be up for 24 hours? Wing Bowl would be perfect. Plus, we would have a crowd gathered to watch hours 18 - 24.

5:37 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Wow Skinnyboy, I'm not sure about that one. Natural body functions like #1 and #2 should be okay. However, true to the competitive eating credo, reversals are a DQ. Though the way my body reacts to CE, I think I'll be able to play by your rules and still be fine.

For this, Carey, my old ass will consider staying up 24 hours. All day Saturday and then detox Sunday (and Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday). Maybe we'll do this together?

It should be a food I can munch on the go. I don't want to be cooped up all day.

9:41 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

We could haul around a big pot full of meatballs. That would be a good food, the protein wall will keep us from killing ourselves.

7:06 AM

 
Blogger SupersizedMeals.com said...

What about a "Le Mans" team effort for the 24 hours. Rotate between a team of say, 4. Each can eat whatever they like to contribute to the overall total! Only one can eat at a time, and team members can take "pit stops" between meal runs, but no reversals. 1's and 2's should be allowed imho, just come up with a way to monitor reversals. I don't think I'll get into the details on that one :D

9:32 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

easy, one person from the other team has to go with you to the bathroom (public bathrooms shouldn't be weird)

10:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home